Day 21: We made an exception

Day 21: We made an exception

This is about a young lady who needed a safe place to land after something happened in her life that would cause her to start over in a new city. She left friends and family behind to make a new life.

She needed a place to stay for a month or more.  She was traveling with her emotional support pup named Sophie. We have a policy of no pets but we met her a the local coffee shop to talk with her and to meet her pup.  We decided to make an exception and let her stay at our place until she found a more permanent place to live. We were happy to help this young lady out and give her a safe place to land while she "figured it out".  While she was here, she found a more permanent place to live and is now on her merry way. 

It's nice to know played a small part in helping her get settled in a new place.

24 Replies 24
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute,

Many thanks @Stan-and-Jan0 for sharing with us this lovely, friendly and interesting post 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute,

Many thanks @Stan-and-Jan0  for sharing with us this lovely, friendly and interesting post 

Thanks, 

Miloud

@Miloud0  - Thank you for the nice comments. I had other stories to tell but this was recent and I was late submitting. Pay it forward.  CHeers!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Stan-and-Jan0 very nice!

Sometimes the most rewarding hosting experiences are those when follow your heart instead of being very tied to your own rules. Being a host really allows you to experience interacting with others in new ways....yes we get paid. But sometimes it's more about helping out our fellow humans when we can

And in this case, humans and canine! 

@Laura2592

Thank you for the comments. Very nice.
I try to pay it forward as much as possible.  I think that's a good rule to live by.

Plus, the pup Sophie didnlt really like men but she liked me so there's that. 🙂

Elena2698
Level 2
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, ES

This is so wholesome! Your help was surely a bless for her! So wholesome

@Elena2698 
Thank you for the kind comments.

Happy New Year!
Stan

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Good on you both @Stan-and-Jan0 
Sometimes we need to approach things in life with an open mind and place ourselves in other people's shoes.

Stand tall for helping the lady concerned.

I'm sure you will all meet again and keep in touch.

People cross each others paths for a good reason in life whether we like it or not.

All the best

@Helen427 
Thank you for the kind comments. Treating each other with kindness is a good rule of thumb. One never knows when a gift of kindness would be a welcome thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

Happy New Year and Cheers!

Stan

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely story @Stan-and-Jan0. I think it's good you could meet each other at a local coffee place to make sure you are all happy with everything. 

Do you still keep in touch? I'm sure the help you gave had such a huge impact on her new start it is hard to put into words. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie

Thank you for the kind comments.

She saw all the great photos and really loved what she saw but she actually wanted to physically see our place before she booked it. And meet us too. The reason being she was going to be staying here for 1-3 months so she felt that she really needed to look it over. Then because we were going to make an exception and allow her pup Sophie, we wanted to meet her and her pup before committing.  So it worked out well.  So in this case we had to figure out a way to connect before she actually booked it as Airbnb blocks personal info (email, phone, etc) but we figured it out.  I'm sure you can imagine a single woman, starting over in a new town, she was very cautious and a little afraid. A good thing.

Yes, I have stayed in touch. She found a nice apartment (much bigger than our place) about a mile away near the Boise River.  She needed to find a job as well, so I referred her to my friend, Diane who runs the Idaho Women's Business Centers to get networked in with other women in the area that are professionals or business owners.  I'm sure she's been very busy with getting her things out of storage and getting settled in her new town. I'll touch base with her after the holidays and she how she's faring.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year.

Cheers!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is real kindness @Stan-and-Jan0.  It's wonderful to hear. 

I wish you and Jan a lovely Christmas too, I hope you are planning something very yummy for lunch? Have a very merry new year and here's to a great 2020. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Stan-and-Jan0  Of all the people and places she could have stumbled onto looking for everything she needed in a new town, she finds the people that can help her find a job too.  Coincidence, I think not.  A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

@Wende2 

Thank you for the great comments. I know she is very thankful at the good fortune and on her way to a new life here in Boise, Idaho.
Happy New Year,

Stan