Day 30: Us

Day 30: Us

We cannot forget what we loved. For this reason, I will tell you about myself and a good friend of mine. About us. It all started almost by accident. As all beautiful things do.

Me in that house that I continue to call the home of tourists (but aren’t we just tourists in this life?) I have been many things: very sad, happy, rebellious with a wandering and disconnected life, with braids, with straight hair, I had the torments of a fifteen-year-old girl, I did the stupid things of a sixteen-year-old girl, then my mom passed away and it was just me and my dad in that huge house, then my dad was transferred to another country, I adopted a dog that I found (serious mistake: he is the one who adopted me), the only trustworthy being in the world, I enrolled in university, I fell in love, that feeling first was shared, then it wasn’t, I was hopelessly lost, foolish, but with an insatiable desire to make sense out of my dream: open the house to tourists.

My father wasn’t for it at first. A twenty-year-old girl alone in the house helpless in the hands of some weird foreign traveler, he thundered. Then, after long considerations and reconsiderations, he finally gave in as long as I told him everything the smallest detail because it is necessary to assume responsibilities to become an adult in real life.

The fact is that on a cold November afternoon an unlikely Greek Orthodox wayfarer named Grigoris for the first time crossed the threshold of my house with his torn sleeping bag from which a small ax popped out (a small detail that I was very careful not to report to my father…), and in few years my house became a whirlwind of thousands of colors, voices, and flavors in the useless noise that Milan can make if you don’t know well what you are, but always in that state of mind “I did the dumbest thing I could have”, then, little by little, things got better.

People came back to me and the fact that some of them insisted I traveled with them gave me a little bit of confidence, well, maybe I wasn’t so crazy or maybe there must be some good in me.

It’s been a long time since I was unaware and meek, but, when I remember how it all started, now that my thoughts are clear, I genuinely think hosting was a good friend of mine who broadened my mind and filled the void inside and outside me, a beautiful experience of interior renewal, I mean: learning to fly with my wings.

After many troublesome years full of fun and carelessness, I also think that hosting, beyond the economic return unexpected, was a beautiful game, a different way of enjoying life to whom I’d like to sing an OM that slowly now becomes a raga or perhaps a blues to the unforgettable hosting of the beginning (it is pure archaeology) etcetera, etcetera.

So I don’t know, I did this thing. I opened the doors of my house to the world, a transit of distant existences, slipping into distant thoughts and cultures that I immediately like, giving up all those thoughts that you hear at the bar and in common sense people.

For two or three months, just starting to understand what it meant to be a good host, I often asked God in whom I believed every other day, if by chance he existed and, therefore, being God, my hosting career was already known to Him, begging Him to warm me if it was already written in His intentions that hosting people would turn out a failure to me, so I was sitting at home studying the treatment of nephritis, cystitis, and gastritis or I dedicated myself to glorious days of idleness and vice in the open-air and I didn’t expose myself to unnecessary toil, but God, as usual, was silent. This did not surprise me because I think He prefers to keep it that way. He likes we discover things for ourselves in our lifetime.

Well, with a little bit of fear on, I plunged into this beautiful adventure, and I saw my little river turned into a lake. The short story is that I was meek, then I’ve turned dynamite and I have learned that hosting, no matter what may happen, means never getting lost, because hosting can really turn the water of the encounter into the wine of friendship.

My job was and is to host travelers coming from all over the world.

After a long and tiring journey, my good friend Hosting is still here.

After a long and tiring journey, I am here, too.

Him.

Me.

Us.

11 Replies 11
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Whoa @Emily352 ..... bravo! 💐👏🏼👏🏼

Beautiful prose and sentiment.

Your story is filled with fragility and strength.

Pain and joy.

The new and the old.... but now the fragile bold.

Although you remain “hidden”, I “see” you.

Thank you for all that you contribute........

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emily352 what an evocative piece, thank you.

How long have you hosted for? Can we see the dog who owns you?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks for sharing @Emily352 
May I ask which church you attend and if you went to midnight mass for Christmas?
It's a great way to unite people as one.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hello @Emily352 

I loved reading your words. I'm going to read them again 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Beautiful words @Emily352, I felt like I was witnessing your life as I read through. You have such a talent for painting a picture. 

It's wonderful to hear how impactful hosting has had on your life and the memories/adventures it's provided. Are there any guests experiences you particularly cherish? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

To share such a vunerable journey is truly a milestone of reflection @Emily352 , thank you for sharing .

Happy hosting 2020

@Laura2484 @Lizzie @Lyn3 @Helen427 @Mike-And-Helen0 

I got on the cheerful Airbnb train ten years ago when his voice crossed the oceans. I got off a few stops later to make the big move and go out on my own. And because of my father's work, that’s why I lived in different cities. When I am in Utrecht, I attend the church of Sint Willibrordkerk, near my home. I was unable to attend the midnight mass because I was traveling back to Milan. Italian ex-pat, I talk little of it, but I have a weakness for Japanese tourists (when I was 16 I have a weakness for surfer boys but don’t tell my life partner, he’ll get mad).

I have always liked the backpackers without Baedekers, those badly dressed people, bowed under the weight of their backpack, who do not stubbornly want to follow a particular path. Those indolent individuals who instead of reaching a good destination or crossing the finish line, are circling like sharks. Those people who ask themselves not what is smart to do or see, but what is smart for them. Those people who at the journey’s end don’t bring some souvenirs home with them, but some pieces of a unique experience that they could never live in a hotel.

If I recognize to have people of this kind in front of me, anthropologically similar to me, custom-tailored to my own size and my own pace, I feel immediately at ease. I have to admit, I’m rather intrigued by this kind of guest. I accept his request for a reservation because I know I’ll be fine with him as with an old friend.

The allure of the Intrepid traveller !

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emily352  Thank you, as always, for your beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary writing. I've have also had several guests who felt like kindred souls from the moment they first messaged. It's like my listing and reviews spoke to them in a way that was more than just finding a suitable place, at the right price, to lay their heads. It was some sort of destiny that brought us together. That aspect of hosting has made it all worthwhile, rather than the money I earn from it.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Emily352  

Yes, that's what airbnb was all about when they started out. But meanwhile they have mcDonalised everything as all the companies do when they grow. You can still find what You're looking for, but You have to dig Your way through all kinds of TOS, guidelines, policies and extenuating stuff.

And the spoil pile of Your digging is getting bigger and bigger all the time.

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Thanks @Emily352 for sharing this great story 

Happy New Year 2020, 

Thanks, 

Miloud