Declining a Request

Marieanne1
Level 2
Castleton, United Kingdom

Declining a Request

Good afternoon,

I have been hosting for about 18 months on Airbnb but this is the first time I've had to consider declining a request to book. The guest has requested a three night stay over New Year 2020, I do request a minimum of 3 nights booking is requiired, but Christmas and New Year I like to get 7 night bookings so that I don't lose dates in between and it means I can enjoy the festive season myself. . If I decline this enquiry does it go against me with my Superhost status? I work very hard to maintain Superhost, above and beyond my husband reckons, so I would be really cheesed off if it does effect my status.

Do we, as the hosts, have any flexibility on who we do and don't accept? I've read some previous chats and it looks like we have very little control. I'm a tad worried...

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you don't get penalised unless you decline most of the requests you receive (see Airbnb Help Centre).

Have you set the listings so that there is a minimum seven nights stay for this period?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Marieanne, instead of always having to decline these requests why don't you change the minimum night stay requirement for those dates. That way guests will not be able to enter the 3 days only the required 7.  They may message you to inquire about a shorter stay but you do not need to approve or decline inquiry so you'll be in the clear.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 2.35.15 PM.png

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

OMG, you accept reservations one year out?

My flighty side can't imagine where I'm going to be 3 days from now!

Anyways....

Use "Rule sets" for the holiday days.

You can set the days around xmas to only accept 7 day minimums

@Paul, usually only 6-7 months out. I plugged in those dates as an example for Marieanne but didn’t save. It wouldn’t let me do 2018 because those dates have already past. I have read though on here that hosts have had dates mysteriously unblock themselves really far in advance - so even though my calendar is blocked out I will still have the availability restrictions and pricing in place very far in advance.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paul154@Emilia42

the problem occures when the reservation begins before the "7 days min requirement" period because then it can end anywhere in the middle and be shorter then 7 days . The best is if you additionaly set "no check in and no check out" arround Christmas and New year eve. This is what I do.