Disabled access Brisbane

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Disabled access Brisbane

Hello to my fellow Brisbane Hosts, I have just had a couple stay with me who require wheelchair access. 

We had lots of discussions before they made their booking because while the studio I have is accessible inside, we have quite a steep driveway and I had reservations about how easy/difficult it would be for them to access the house itself.  It did turn out to be quite tricky for them.  The studio itself met their needs perfectly, but the driveway was very challenging when it came to getting in and out of the car.

They live in Maleny and want to visit their daughter in Wynnum on a regular basis so they're looking for somewhere nearby that could take them as ongoing guests for short stays.  They weren't worried that the shower in my studio isn't accessible for wheelchairs, but they would prefer to have something self-contained and obviously with enough space to move around in a wheelchair.  

I wonder if any of you have such a space - or know of one - that you think would be suitable?  

Looking forward to hearing from you, cheers

7 Replies 7
Tami4
Level 2
Woolloongabba, Australia

Can't help, but hope you can find someone. I guess there are not too many options out there.

Hi 

We we are day 2 of a gentleman staying for 30 days. He is in a wheelchair. So far so good, access has been excellent, he has managed to transfer himself into the shower easily. We have put in place out of pocket extras like ramps  so he can go out to the pool area, a shower chair etc. I can imagine it being a struggle to find a place suitable.

regards

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

That's good to know Dee.  I recently had a man with cerelby palsy stay and he was able to access the shower ok - it all depends on the level of mobility the person has.  I'll keep your place in mind if I'm not able to accommodate someone's requirements.  Cheers, Jennie

Not sure if my previous message got through - but here it is again, just in case:

My wife (who is a non-walking wheelchair user) and I are going to be in Brisbane in early June to visit our daughters who are trevelling in Australia. We are from the UK and are looking for an accessible B&B for four or five nights from 4th June. Any details about your property would be most welcome  Thanks  Paul

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hello @Paul1589 , I'm sorry I missed your previous message.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to assist - my apartment has been accessible for people with disabilities who can walk a few steps.  However, due to the steep driveway and narrow garage, it's very difficult/impossible for a completely wheelchair-dependent person to get out of the car and into their chair.  If you think it could work for your wife to get out of the car at street level and then come up the driveway in her wheelchair then we could possibly make it all work.  I can offer you 3 nights from the 4th June. The link to my listing is /www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/19353342

I could provide portable ramps to assist with entry over the small lip at the kitchen door, and into the large shower recess where there is a step.

I hope that is helpful in some way, kind regards, Jennie

Good morning

I'm supporting a man in a wheelchair and looking for temporary stay in wynnum or close by in brisbane

can you help?

Frank (Mob 0434 869932)

Hi Frank, apologies for the delay in responding. I'm not sure if I can assist or not.  I think if the gentleman in the wheelchair has no mobility, my place might pose some problems, as you can see from my response to another query above. I understand that accessibility is a real problem and wish I could be of more assistance.  Kind regards, Jennie