Payments

Payments

Hello everyone,

Im new to this and am just starting this month. I have some very newby type questions, so please bear with me. Sorry if these questions seem silly.

Ive noticed some listings charge a deposit at time of booking. Is this paid to us on booking or after the guest arrives? 

How much does air b n b charge ? I can’t seem to find out. How long do they take to pay you ? 

Can I specify a minimum stay ie 3 days? 

I dont know  how much to charge, how do I decide this?  It’s a whole house, character property that sleeps 6. 

How do I make sure there are no stag/ hen parties? Can I specify this? 

Ladtly, do I charge VAT on top of price? 

Thanks.

Amanda

3 Replies 3
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Amanda1108   you're a bit of a dog but still good looking ;), add a proper photo.

Deposit is not charged to guest at any time, its an amount they might be charged if naughty.

Airbnb charges hosts 3% +vat, payouts are 24hrs after guests check in and can take 5 days to reach your bank.

Yes to any min or max stay

Look on airbnb for competitors and see what they charge.

Yes you can specify no parties

Your nightly rate has to include vat if you are registered to charge vat

This link has lots of answers to questions, have fun.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/all_topics

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Amanda1108,

I agree with @Jeff158 - update your profile photo to one of you. Just as we hosts like to see a photo of our prospective guests rather than, say, a sunset, they like to see a photo of us.

To answer your questions:

1. No one gets the deposit. It is just a safety net if the guest causes any damage. I believe the safety net has quite a few holes in it, but it's probably worth doing anyway.
  2. Airbnb charges 3-20% service fee depending on a number of factors. I'm not sure what you'll be charged but you'll find out after your first booking.
  3. You are normally paid sometime within the first 24 hours after a guest checks in.
  4. Yes, you can do a minimum stay of 3 nights - go to your listing > Availability > Trip Length. Here you can set your minimum and maximum nights.
  5. How much to charge - you need to look at what other hosts are charging for similar listings in your area as well as your expenses, taxes, etc.
  6. Parties: under house rules, you can tick where it says 'No parties or events'. You might consider installing security cameras outside as well.
  7. Include any taxes you have to pay in your nightly rate.

Hope that helps!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amanda1108  I'd suggest that you read everything available for hosts in the Help section of the Airbnb site. You'll get a lot of answers there and if anything is unclear or you can't find the answer there, just ask away here.

Airbnb charges 3% of the listing price to hosts for each booking. Fees to guests are anywhere from about 10-20%. We don't know the formula Airbnb uses to calculate the guest fee- it's a mystery 🙂