Does adding a security deposit adversely affect bookings?

Brock2
Level 2
Vienna, VA

Does adding a security deposit adversely affect bookings?

I'm a new host and things are going swimmingly thus far!  I'm curious if anyone has noticed a drop in bookings by adding a security deposit to their listing.  I understand it's not actually charged until a claim is made against it, but do travelers all understand that clearly??

I ask because I'd like to add a $1200 security deposit to our listing, and here's why:  Our apartment plumbing goes through an ejector pit and then out to a septic tank.  As such, if ANYTHING other than the provided toilet paper and normal waste goes down the drain, it's an automatic $1200 to replace the pump in the ejector pit.  We've included the following verbiage in our house rules:  "Apartment is on an ejector pit & septic system, so ONLY the provided toilet paper & human waste is allowed down the drains. (No baby wipes, paper towels, tissues, feminine products, etc. allowed down the drains.) Failure to comply will be a $1,200 plumbing charge that will be charged to guest."  We also have a sticker on the toilet tank that spells this out as well.

Will adding a $1200 security deposit negatively impact bookings?  Should I forego the security deposit and just cross my fingers and rely on Airbnb's host guarantee?  (yikes!)  Any insight from Airbnb or other hosts would be welcome.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
RobandAnna0
Level 3
Boston, MA

I would absolutely add the security, we have a security and we've seen no adverse bookings.
It's so important to protect yourself as much as possible.
Happy Hosting.

Thanks!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You definitely need to add the security deposit. It's highly unlikely that the host guarantee scheme will cover this type of damage - which is clearly a high risk item.

Thank you for the feedback.  ...I guess the other element of my question is regarding the AMOUNT of that security deposit.  If I were booking a place for a few nights, and saw a security deposit of $1200, it would definitely deter me from booking if I thought I were going to have to come out-of-pocket for that amount simply to book a place for a night or two.  I'd be put-off by it.  In your experience, do most travelers realize that the deposit doesn't ACTUALLY get charged unless there's a claim against it??

Shana0
Level 2
Colchester, VT

I agree....I would add the security deposit...but I also would make it very clear to the guests about the issue and that they are responsible if they flush anything but tp.