Does this guest think I'm dumb?

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Does this guest think I'm dumb?

I had a guest book a month or so ago for 2 nights of the long weekend this weekend. 

Airbnb cancelled her (I assume her second payment did not go through) and as per my policy, I was entitled to money. I got an email from CS asking if she re-booked, would I refund to which I replied that yes, if she rebooked, I would credit that money to her new booking.

She re-booked and now has had a death in the family so has cancelled again and asked if I would refund all her money due to this sad circumstance?

Just venting here, but OMGoodness, does she think I was born yesterday? Now I am very sorry if they truely have had a bereavement, but it seems very, very 'convenient' 

I am going to offer them a weekend  to replace it, and I will refund if I rebook those nights. 

Like I say, just venting really. Thanks for listening 🙂

29 Replies 29
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Denise80 

Why do hosts feel compelled to pick up the tab, for other people’s misfortune?

I’d be looking for full reimbursement rather then offering olive branches.

This nonsense is getting out of hand.

I had a guest cancel on me becuae of the "Weather"; as my unit is in a Ski area and there was rain forecasted.  The booking dates were about 2 days out and when I wouldn't refund the full reservation..

AirBnb took their side and called me repeatly asking me to reconsider my stance and to refund them in full.  I told them, "hey, this is your policy, I'm just following the cancellation guidelines you set forth... why are you calling me asking me to refund them outside of your policy.. especially when its too close to the dates to get a new booking..?"

Called me 4 times, literally, and took up about an hour of my time.. I should send them a bill..!!

@Tim755 

"AirBnb took their side and called me repeatly asking me to reconsider my stance and to refund them in full"

That's harrassment. And coercion. 

Ken-And-Denise0
Level 3
Sykesville, MD

It will be a year in June hosting our Airbnb. I had a family book a full week in May and then, less than 48 hours prior to check in, cancelled with the explanation that the gentleman had had an emergency appendectomy.  I replied that we were sorry for his misfortune and wished him well.  We have a moderate cancellation policy.  We were surprised to receive 1/2 the rental fee.  We stewed about whether or not we should refund him.  We waited for an Airbnb request to do so.  One never came.  Still, we felt really badly for him.  And then, I pulled on my big girl pants and stopped worrying about it.  We run a business and we work VERY hard at it!  Policy is policy.  I’m kind of happy that this happened because it just made me a stronger  businesswoman!

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I am surprised she tried that, given that if it didn't work out, she'd be paying twice for a stay she wasn't getting. Thanks for sharing, it's good to be aware of the possibilities. 

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Update, so she stayed and I have received the money for Airbnb. Now I have to write her a review. Shoud I menion her loss in order that she does not use that excuse again? I was thinking something like

'xxx and her family looked after the house well and left it tidy on departure. Condolences for the loss of your faher-in-law, I am glad you didn't have to cancel after all."

@Tim755  @Cheryl389 @Ken-And-Denise0 @Cormac0 @Helen427 

@Denise80  Well, at least it would prevent her from claiming her father-in--law died twice 🙂

I would likely mention it, but I would try to speak around it more. "XXX origjnally messaged me that she planned on cancelling, but I am glad she could make it."

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Denise80 @Sarah977 @Helen3 @Cheryl389 @Ana1136 

@Denise80 Did you meet the guest in person & speak to them whilst they stayed at your home?

None of use can be sure what's going on in one's life to know if people are telling the truth or not.Try & make it pleasant as you don't wish to plant seeds of doubt about your own role as a Host, you may get a potential other Guest who genuinenly wishes to some & stay who may be put off by such a Review.

Maybe send a Thank you msg for coming to stay & just keep it pleasant.

All the Best

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Haha, yes @Sarah977  that was why I was going to put that second sentence in. Too much do you think?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Denise80 I wouldn't mention about it in the review, that is personal detail and no matter if it happened or not it shouldn't be public for everyone to read. And even if you mention it, if she wants to lie she can now say her mother in law died,it is not like it's going to stop her. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denise80  Yes, I think it's too much, in that she could be successful in getting Airbnb to remove it, on the basis that it impinges on her privacy.

I'd say something along the lines of what @Cheryl389 suggested, but maybe a bit more evident that she tried to squirm out of the booking with a fabrication. Not sure how you could word that, because you can't really accuse her of lying.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Denise80 

Any updates?

Has the Guest left a review yet? 

If so, how did they rate you & viceversa? 

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Sorry for the delay in repying @Helen427 , I did 12 hour shift at the hospital last night and only emerged from bed an hour ago!

I gave her a short public review saying XXXX and her family stayed and left the house very tidy on departure. Marked her down on communication as we were not sure if they were coming or if they would cancel again. I said 'sorry to hear of your loss' in her private feedback. 

She on the other hand gave me a fantastic review and all 5 stars. 

'My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Denise's place. Such a warm lovely home, with great entertainment for children. Well equipped kitchen, and total privacy. Has a park straight opposite from the gates. Denise was fast with communication and very understanding. Cant wait to stay again in the summer! Thank you so much Denise!'

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Denise80 

Very pleased to see all went well in the end & you got a good review.