Does this guest think I'm dumb?

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Does this guest think I'm dumb?

I had a guest book a month or so ago for 2 nights of the long weekend this weekend. 

Airbnb cancelled her (I assume her second payment did not go through) and as per my policy, I was entitled to money. I got an email from CS asking if she re-booked, would I refund to which I replied that yes, if she rebooked, I would credit that money to her new booking.

She re-booked and now has had a death in the family so has cancelled again and asked if I would refund all her money due to this sad circumstance?

Just venting here, but OMGoodness, does she think I was born yesterday? Now I am very sorry if they truely have had a bereavement, but it seems very, very 'convenient' 

I am going to offer them a weekend  to replace it, and I will refund if I rebook those nights. 

Like I say, just venting really. Thanks for listening 🙂

29 Replies 29
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Denise80, yes, how convenient of that family member to die like that! Gosh, the scams are getting more and more elaborate aren't they? Airbnb should stick to its own policy of having people prove their 'extenuating circumstances'. I had to drop everything suddenly last year to fly to Melbourne when my brother was dying and, along with everything else I was trying to deal with, I had to send medical records to Airbnb to prove he had terminal cancer in order to cancel my existing reservations without penalty! I bet you anything they don't make their precious guests do stuff like that...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am so sorry for you loss. But actually Airbnb do ask guests to provide evidence of a death in the family or a doctors note to confirm they cannot travel.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kath9 That's terrible, I'm so sorry about your brother!  Really insane you had to go through that.

@Denise80 Now that she's lied to you twice, do you really want to offer her anything?

If you want a taste of what your fellow hosts would say to that, check out my post about a recent cancellation:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Those-pesky-cancellation-policies/m-p/1032262#M255161

They're gonna nag you and nag you, but be strong!

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Oh boy @Ann72  I will be strong. Thanks for the link, I will definitely read through it. 

Now she has said they may come as they don't want to 'waste' such a lot of money. So it has back-fired on her because instead of only losing her deposit, she is going to lose her entire amount. Oh well, her choice. I am no doubt going to get a bad review, but my life doesn't revolve around reviews 🙂

@Kath9  I am truly orry about your brother. It is such a shame that honest people have to jump through the hoops because of a few rogue ones. I'm glad you were able to be with him. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Denise80 Have you had any other correspondence from the Guest re there booking?

If you know there details why don't you look their name etc up online?
Sometimes those avenues help establish if a person is credible or not.

Have you checked out there previous reviews?

All The Best

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Denise80 i has a guest who forged a death certificate, I cought it, gave Airbnb proof of that but they still refunded him in full

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Thanks for your kind words @Ann72 and @Denise80. Yes, I'm glad I could be with him too.

@Inna22, what??? Forged a death certificate? Wow, the lengths some people go to get a refund!

@Kath9 I posted about it alredy and did not want to hijack the OPs thread by going over it again. I was more surprised about airbnb's reaction (or lack of it) than the guest's actions

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Denise80As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me".   Looks like I have the possibility of a similar situation.  Lat week a guest sent a booking request and I messaged back asking for details about who is traveling with them, what brings them to the area and reminder we are a no smoking, no pets, no parties listing.  This is my normal reply to all requests as I refuse to use instant booking.  I want to make sure potential guests understand my house rules and that our property is a good fit for the group. My message was sent within 5 minutes of receiving their request.  No response.  Hours later I sent a repeat message.  Again no response.  At 23 hours, I decline the request as they never replied to either of my messages.  Just moments ago I recieve a message asking if I would reconsider their request to book our space.  He states he was in the hospital and couldn't reply.  Really?  You were OK to sent a bookiing request but not to reply 5 minutes later?  Not sure I want to open this can of worms.

@Linda0 And Richard - see my comments above.

Sometimes people are genuine, maybe he was in at a Medical appointment or otherwise genuinely unable to reply straight away, it happens.

All the Best

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Denise80 It is unfornate to be a member of her family. Probably everyone of them had died at least once:-)

Craig186
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

sound like unfortunate circumstances.... however cause they booked the rooms any cancellations inhibits our income stream because the dates are locked to them.

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hi @Helen427 , yes I have checked out her Facebook and while she hasn't logged on for a couple of days, there is n mention of a bereavement on her account, nor her partner's. If she truly has lost her father-in-law I will feel terrible. But, she has not provided any proof to CS and claimed an extenuating circumstance. I offered her another weekend instead, and also to refund if I could rebook and she did not take me up on either option. 

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Can I add something just amongst ourselves @Helen427 @Craig186 @Alice595 @Linda-And-Richard0 @Inna22 ? Now I would never do this, but that little devil on my shoulder wants to comment on her Facebook page and offer my condolences on the loss of her father-in-law. 

Like I say, I would never do this, but there is that little part of me....!