First time host

First time host

As a first time host in a property that has the capacity to sleep 10 with a desire to be totally prepared, and  to ensure my 1st guest has a wonderful experience, I have asked my guest several times how many people are coming and he has not answered that question. In his communication he keeps saying "we" and filled out the information as "1 adult guest" but has never responded to my question. Any feedback on what I should do is greatly appreciated?

Jewel

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes - you should confirm to your guest that as he has only booked for one person, that will be the only person who will be able to check in and any additional guests could be turned away, as they haven't been booked and paid for.

Presumably you charge for extra guests -  so confirm to the guest that if he does have other guests who want to stay, he must send an amendment for the correct number of people so you can prepare rooms, towels etc and so you will both be covered by Airbnb for the correct number of guests.

(he just needs to go into his booking confirmation to do this by hitting the amend button).

Unfortunately some unscrupulous guests do this to try and get away with not paying for all those who stay. It is highly unlikely one person who have booked to stay in a place that accommodates ten unless a) he intends to sneak in more guests b) he intends to have a party.

Do make sure you or your local manager is there at check in, so if extra guests try and sneak in, you can challenge them.

Personally if someone did that to me I would cancel their booking on arrival as they have lied to me, despite being given a chance to come clean. The other option is not to let the guests who haven't paid check in until the guest has gone in and amended the booking to reflect the numbers who are staying.

Make sure if you host remotely you have CCTV or similiar so you know how many people are going in and out of your property.

NB - please change your cancellation policy for flexible to at least moderate. Again, personally if I had a large property like yours, I would change it to strict.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Dr--Mjtk0 For what you are charging (first 4, then $100 per extra guest) I would not be terribly concern if everyone is registered, but would definitely insist on knowing how many are indeed coming.  Your are brand new and it is the new places the 'book-for-1-invite-all' husstlers gravitate to,  especially if the host is an absentee one.

Interesting you rather have a $200 price but give a 20% Special Offer; why not make it the more attractive $160? Both prices are just as easy to change later, once you are comfortable with one final price.

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

I to have a large house that sleeps 9 in 4 large bedrooms, I also request guest numbers and names and if they fail to give the details up to 24 hrs before check in then I cancel them stating reason as being that guest is unsuitable for the property and suggest a smaller property in the same area would better suit. This has always worked well and have had no back bite from ABB

Occasionally In the past I have asked for photgraphs of additional paying guests or photo their drivers licence for security reasons ,None of  my guest in the past have had no issue with that. 

In your situation I would cancel stating property not suitable for 1 guest