GUEST REFUND WITH STRICT REFUND POLICY

GUEST REFUND WITH STRICT REFUND POLICY

I m a host in Verona - Italy and I believe it's terribly unfair that Airbnb allows guests a refund the day after the check in. In my case something like 18hrs after the check in!

I have a strict refund policy and from what I know this policy states the following:

Strict:
If your guest cancels within 30 days of their trip, you’ll get paid for 50% of the reservation. Your host fee is 5%.

No mention at all about refund after check in.

11 Replies 11
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Airbnb however in indeed holding an ace up its sleeve, know as the infamous 'Extenuating Circumtances' which gives them license to trump any host policy, and this is administered by a group of 'case managers' that differ widely making that arena, in essence, oftentimes be no more than a  lottery. 

That is annoying! What was their reason to cancel? 

mentioned no specific reason to me, I only guess the guest contacted Airbnb and they decided to preoceed. It's quite annoying as it's was a 4 nights booking, cancelled last minute after check in. Really wonder what's strict policy means to them.

In my opinion, if guest is forced to cancell,  it'd be more reasonable and equal for hosts  that guests were given a discount coupon paid by Airbnb for the next booking

I think i've seen it all, mostly good but the bad is really bad. Its better these types are not inside your home, you will get nice guests that will outweigh the miserable snobs!

get ready for your newer nice quests who deserve your time and tips in your local area.

Green-Area-Apartments0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

When I first saw the new policy, it was going to be obvious people booking will shift and play havoc. I know the competition is to get the bookings to match hotel type bookings except hotels have given guests more flexibility. To get it right for hosts, host has to make sure the accomodation is cystal clean, pretty whatever it takes to keep the guests there. 

It sucks but thats the reality!

From every 7/8 guests there will be one spoils spot!

party pooper!

Stay-Asheville0
Level 10
Asheville, NC

Airbnb case managers are simply a joke with no training. I own and run a multi million dollar hospitality business and every single time Airbnb gets involved they make it worse and remove my ability to do my job. 

Its something you have to manage if you intent to use this platform. 

Yup. They should be trained to look for signs of deception from the complaining guest. Such as asking them to provide proof of changed plane ticket due to “extenuating circumstances,” etc. 

it shouldnt just just be that guests can call them, make up a story and then get a refund. 

I understand the desire to accommodate guests, but Airbnb also needs to keep in mind that they wouldn’t have a business without hosts, either. 

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Airbnb most likely set up a refund policy a long time ago, and isn't keeping up with the times.  The guests that use the refund policy after check in, are well versed on how to get the refund,  remember if they cancel before hand, Airbnb's fee is kept by AIRBNB.  Guests check in tell airbnb they want their money back, and the host is out, most likely they've already booked somewhere else, and know they need to cancel after checking in.  NOT FAIR... hosts have accepted the booking, blocked out the time, set a refund policy, and now are stuck with guests that know how to beat the sytem.. I don't want a guest that doesn't want to stay.   If someone books a place, there should be no refunds prior to 60 days of check in... unless the time can be rebooked, however Airbnb won't unlock your calendar if you do cancel them per their request.. so you have to rely on other sites to rebook... I do like the 24-48 hour cancellation after the intial booking for those that can't make it.  We don't want guests staying if they don't want to.. and should not be penalized for it,  they should buy trip insurance.. maybe that is something Airbnb could sell to make themselves more Money - my two cents..

Lindsey104
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Are policies different in Italy? Bc here, the Strict policy is you only get a full refund if you cancel within 48 hours of your booking, provided you booked the stay 14+ days in advance. If you cancel 7+ days prior to arrival, 50% refund. 

Edit: oooh I see, the whole “extenuating circumstances” card. 18 hours after check-in. How convenient. I hate to sound cold, but guests should really have to provide legit proof before they get a refund. Like proof of a changed plane ticket, proof that they did not then go on to book another Airbnb for the remaining 3 nights they were supposed to stay here, etc. 

I totally agree with you