Goldilocks bed hopping

Stacey139
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Goldilocks bed hopping

Good day

Our room sitiuation is this:

1st bedroom double bed - full bath connects to - 2nd bedroom of 2 twins.

We up charge for the 3rd and forth person - more laundry and breakfast.

We have noticed that some couples have used ALL the beds, even for just a SINGLE NIGHT.  As everyone knows, airbnb hosts do a lot of laundry.   I hate to close off the other room it is nice to have space, but what are my options, and yes sucking it up is an option we can deal with if we must 😞

thanks!

34 Replies 34
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Stacey139 🙂

I think I would ask the guests before arrival which room they prefer and then only make that room ready for them. No need to make the beds in both rooms and they will then know that one room is prepared for them. Maybe that could be a solution?

Best, Sandra

Stacey139
Level 2

The only problem with that is there is only one entry available to them, via the double room.  Thanks for your attention.

@Stacey139 I'm not quite sure about what you mean with your reply? 🙂 I didn't mean to lock up any of the rooms but to ask about your guests preferences and then maybe instead of making the extra beds just put some nice bedspreads on. That way you won't have to make 4 beds ready if only 2 persons books. 

Stacey139
Level 2

thanks for the clarification.    

@Stacey139 

Honestly.......I'd just lock the other room after asking whether they want 1 bed or 2  🙂 Or at least put up a nice sign on the door that while guests are welcome to make use of the space, the beds are off limits unless they are willing to pay for the additional laundry. 

Thank you. the sign is a nice idea.  the room is rather special, I would not want them to not be able to enjoy it.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Stacey139Wow your place is gorgeous! That handpainted wallpaper is incredible.

I second what Sandra said: I would just ask them what configuration they would like when they book, then don't make up the bed(s) they've said they won't use or close off the bedroom they say they aren't using. 

I wonder why they're bed hopping? Odd...

Stacey139
Level 2

people are odd. 

it does not happen often, seems to only happen when we have guests coming that same day . 🙂

yes the wall paper is fab!  Original to the house

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Sorry @Stacey139, If you did what @Jessica-and-Henry0 or @Sandra856   suggested and I was your guest, I'd be complaining to Airbnb.  If you advertise a 2 bedroom, 3 bed space, then that is what you must provide because that's what I've signed up (and paid) for.  And 'bed' means a made up bed.  Husband and I quite often choose a 2-bed place because we prefer the option of sleeping elsewhere if the bed doesn't suit one of us (he likes much warmer bedding than me), or one of us is snoring.  We also like to leave an open suitcase on a bed rather than unpack for a short visit (or any visit if there's nowhere to unpack anything into!).

What you could do is offer a discount if the guests agree to use only one room, or only certain beds.

Alternatively, advertise the rooms separately - one advert for both rooms (higher price), 1 advert for just the double - I believe you can link them somehow so both can't be booked at the same time.

Stacey139
Level 2

Great idea!

thanks

@Kathie21  @Stacey139  Of course.... if a host wants to limit access to rooms depending on # of guests, that should be clearly stated in the listing in advance 🙂 

Henry and I also prefer 2 beds than 1 when we travel but I'd also expect the cost of 2 people using 2 rooms and 2 people using 1 room to be different. 

Alternatively, advertise the rooms separately - one advert for both rooms (higher price), 1 advert for just the double - I believe you can link them somehow so both can't be booked at the same time.

@Kathie21, @Stacey139 : Yup, that's what I do. My in-law apartment is separated into two listings and can be booked as 1 bedroom + sofa bed or 2 bedrooms + sofa bed. The price is lower for the smaller space; that way couples, singles, or budget travelers don't have to pay more for beds they aren't (theoretically) using. I lock the second bedroom for those bookings and open it for those who book the larger space. 🙂

That said, I've had three-person parties in which the odd man out has the second  bedroom (two twin beds) and somehow sleeps (or invites a "guest" without telling me, or whatever) in both of them--but it's pretty rare.

@Kathie21 Do you expect 4 beds to be made even if you are only paying for 2 people? I can understand that you would like to use both rooms and that is why I suggested that Stacey wrote to her guests before arrival to ask about their preferences. Stacey wrote that if more than 2 people booked she charged extra. I'm not saying that the room should be locked up just that there is no need to make extra beds ready with new linen that then needs to be washed. It is a bit wasteful and not exactly sustainable in my opinion 🙂

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandra856   If it hasn't been made clear in the listing before I book that the extra beds would not be available then yes, absolutely.  Otherwise it's a bait & switch.