Guest does not like another guest

Elena465
Level 2
Irvine, CA

Guest does not like another guest

Hi Airbnb hosts, 

I'd love your input into a situation I've just had with a guest. I am relatively new to hosting, although reached superhost status and stayed as a guest in many properties.

Here is the case: I rent separate rooms in my home and recently a female guest booked for 1 night and when she checked in and upon checking out my place she learned that there was another male guest staing at the house at the same time. This was a trigger for her numerous phone calls to me, telling that she was not comfortable sharing the house with male guest and after several phone calls she left asking for a refund. The other parts to this story - there is nowhere in the listing mentioned that I permanently live at the house, she inquired in the process of the booking and I confirmed that there were other guests at the house and she would have her own bathroom and the room had locks + the key to lock it up. Also, there was another family (parents and grown up daughter) staying at the house at the same time as those guests, but she did not meet with them. She booked an en-suite room that was on a different floor from the room where the male guest was staying. Yes, there were shared living / dining rooms / study and the kitchen for all the guests. Yes, all guests had to submit ID or verify their ID with airbnb before their arrival. She had 0 reviews, the male guest had 6 great reviews and was verified. I asked her if he was aggressive, she said "no, he was friendly". I have a strict cancellation policy, but she was so annoying that I let her go with a refund minus cleaning fee. What would you have done? Also, should I review her and what do I say? I would not want to host her again even if I was at home and there was no one else (male) staying at that time.

Thank you all!

1 Reply 1
Dr--Lori0
Level 2
Aldie, VA

This is a bit complicated. If you were clear about other guests being there, it is fair to assume that some of them might be male. I would abide by cancellation policy, whatever you choose, and not give refunds, especially if they are able to leave a review anyway. In this day and age to be that squeamish when travelling as to be uncomfortable with 50% of the population is just a bit nuts, especially if you have rooms that lock! Stand firm!