Guest no show, now wants to cancel & refund, I am worried that she may put 1 star

Answered!
Michelle266
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Guest no show, now wants to cancel & refund, I am worried that she may put 1 star

Hello guys,

Hope this message finds everyone well 🙂

I am very new to hosting, and this is my 4th guest.

She books for a week from yesterday (19th November) and said she would be coming at about 3 PM. When I emailed her around 3 to check if she is still coming on time, she said that she would be 'late' and will text me (she  never did). We waited until 1 AM and sent her sms/call/emails/airbnb messages repeatedly to no reply! I even got worried because she mentioned that she will be travelling alone!

This  morning, she texted me back saying she will be 'staying at her friend's' and asks me to cancel. I have asked her to cancel from her end but she has not got back to me. I worry that she may not cancel from her end, and as AirBnB thinks the booking is still through, she may put 1 star on our review despite the fact that she did not stay at all.

Any suggestions for this? 😞

Thanks everyone!

Michelle

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First - you are right that you should not cancel.

Second, keep all correspondence on the AirBnB platform.

Third: she cannot leave a review if she did not stay.

Fourth: you should not give a refund as she was so inconsiderate and rude in leaving you waiting like that.

Send her a message saying something like: Dear xx, as you did not turn up and we message you, and waited for you until xx am in the morning, it  has not been possible for us to re-let the room at such short notice. I am afraid that you will have to cancel the reservation as I will be penalised as a host if I make the cancellation. I understand you wish to stay with your friend now, however it has not been possible for me to resell the room as you have not cancelled so that my calendar is free. (If I do resell any nights then I am happy to refund you for those nights I re-sell)

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

@Michelle266 just to clarify.... the first responder said "Third: she cannot leave a review if she did not stay".

That is not true. I have had a few no shows in the 3+ years Ive been hosting and both parties CAN leave reviews. I usually say "the guest did not show"

However if you or the guest CANCEL the reservation, then no, neither party can leave a review.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Dee9, ya I got your point, don't worry about it. Thanks for giving me your feedback. I guess it's case resolved well for now, phew!

Sherry460
Level 2
Alabama, United States

How many stars do you give no shows? I just don’t see how to accurately rate them if they didn’t even stay. 

@Sherry460 5 stars from me as a no show is a perfect guest

Haha ok. If they don’t communicate and let you know that their not even coming do you mention that in the review?

@Sherry460 that I might mention but in a way that assumes some sort of emergency may have befallen them.

Julie-Ann21
Level 3
New York, NY

I think the guest would have to cancel the reservation. I wouldn't cancel it. I wouldn't refund her the amount for the first check-in night but the rest I might refund depending on our communication. Also make sure Airbnb would free up those nights for you. It's not your fault that she didn't show up.

Joanne740
Level 1
Conception Bay South, Canada

My guest messaged the day they were suppose to check in to say they had an emergency and couldn’t come. I suggested they change their reservation but they did not nor did they cancel. I messaged again but got no reply.  Should I cancel their reservation?  I feel bad charging them when they had an emergency.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course you shouldn't cancel.

if it is a genuine emergency they can apply to be covered by their travel insurance . 

just message them back via Airbnb to say you're sorry they won't be able to stay.

i wouldn't have offered to amend  we no their dates as you are the one who would lose out if you don't get a replacement booking