Guest threw a party

David1074
Level 1
Connecticut, US

Guest threw a party

I had a guest rent our unit, our security camera showed 50 people showed up and about 20 stayed the night, the unit was trashed, I found out

alot of people were from a local collage, the guest was from a large city 20 mins away, i now get many requests from that same city, all people

associated on facebook with the original guest. the new booking requests are coming from this same large group, from the same city, i been turning them down but air bnb is now saying they will shut me down?

6 Replies 6
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Maybe complain to the college. Educational institutions do not like negative press.

Did you review the original guest?

I wonder if you can post a fine for parties in your house rules? You probably couldn't enforce it, but you could point the rule out to suspect future guests. It might be enough to scare future guests away. Also point out surveillance measures that you have (in the booking enquiry). The guest may change their mind on their own about staying with you.

I would also talk to Airbnb; this sort of thing can't possibly be good press for them.

Stay-Asheville0
Level 10
Asheville, NC

Oh no. You’re getting a bunch of booking requests? This is terrible news...  (eye roll)

Well it is terrible new if those requests would cost him more than he would make, but refusing them is going to get him delisted... (eye roll)

Yes, since he says that everyone who wants to book his place is associated with the illegal bash that was held with 50 people, that trashed his house, LOL.

I would make it very prominent in the listing that there are security cameras, put no guests in the house rules and you can at least add a large 'fake' damage deposit as a deterrent, even knowing that airbnb will never let you collect.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

There are two ways I see of going about this:

One is to call Airbnb and see what they can do to help. All their metrics and threatening e-mails are auto-generated. Once you explain that you're getting a slew of requests from the same party-going group they may help in some way and also call off the "decline too much" watchdogs.

Two is to modify settings & rules on your listing: I'm not sure if it's "discrimination" in Airbnb's eyes to require "Over 25" age in your house rules, but that's one thought.

I'd also add a house rule for "Only registered guests allowed on the property at any time". This, in conjunction with an exterior camera, can stop a party in its tracks.

Another is to switch on InstantBook and the Government ID requirement and positive host references, along with stricter house rules aimed at this group. If any reservation comes through that sounds fishy, call Airbnb to have it cancelled - it's much easier as an IB host "I'm not comfortable with these guests".

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If you have the exterior camera why not monitor it to halt the party ?! Have not investigated, but don't we have something that can recognize number of people - I know I could find some Image recog code that could do it.