Guest wants to avoid fees by asking host to use the "payment request" instead of normal booking

Chase22
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

Guest wants to avoid fees by asking host to use the "payment request" instead of normal booking

Hi all,

I have started hosting since this January and just received a Super host last month. I am really happy about it and enjoy being a host.

-----------------------------------------------------
However, just a few days ago, a guest wanted to book my house for 3 nights. First, he asked me for a further discount and asked me whether he could pay me via Paypal or Crypto instead of Airbnb. I refused both of his request because we are using Airbnb system and the price is already max discounted (he booked us the day before his arrival).

Then, he came back with an idea that he will book me for only one night and he will pay the rest via "payment request" to minimize to booking fee. This was really surprised me. I looked through the website to find whether this method is feasible or violate any rules or terms but did not get any answer. But something pop up in my mind that If I accept this, Airbnb will only recognize the first night as a booking while the rest are not. I saw this as a risk. If something happen between the 2nd and 3rd night, I may not be able to claim or ask any help from Airbnb. So, I also refused this offer.

He texted me back with some frustation in his letters. He told me that I don't understand how the system work. He told me that the rest does not need to be covered and I could simply block the date. He also told me that he was trying to benefit us from avoiding the fee (which is only around $6) and told me that I am too strict, not flexible and not helping him (By not allowing outside payment and give him more discount ?). 

At the end, I replied him back that we could not follow his idea and all of his request. We don't want to take any risk and we are still not sure that his idea is feasible or not. Luckily, another guest came and booked me instanly. So I refused his booking and the case was closed.
-----------------------------------------------------

So, what do you guys think? Does the "payment request" can be used in this way?

Chase

10 Replies 10
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Chase22,

It would be very risky to follow the payment request idea. He might book for one night, then you block the other days and send a payment request to him. He could easily ignore or refuse to pay. That might be his way of trying to get the discount that he asked for. Then you'd have to get him out and there would be no support from Airbnb.

It was a good choice for you to be happy with your price and refuse him.

Steve.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Oh, how would I forget the point that he might not accept the request but that would be extreme. I think he just wanted to avoid the fee.

Chase

@Chase22   Chances are that this would have been a problem guest in many more ways, so it's good that you declined and got another booking. You will not have any recourse if you accept a guest's request to pay outside the system and they cause damage, ignore your house rules, etc.

You really should report this person by flagging his profile and letting airbnb know he was trying to scam the system.

Thank you for you reply Sarah

Yeah I just report to airbnb that he tried to suggest the outside payment. Many guests has also asked me about this before but I did not report them because it's a minor thing and they did not force me to do it.

This case shows me that he is trying to take an advantage from the system So, I think it should not be ignored.

@Chase22 in my opinion you were wise to refuse this guest.

Clearly this guest is accustomed to trying to "game the system", which is fine... until you become part of the system he is gaming.

There are people who do things based on what is morally right or wrong.

And there are people who do things based on what they can get away with.

My preference is not to host the second type of person.

Thanks for your reply Matthew 🙂

Yeah, he is using Airbnb yet he does not want to pay for the fee !?!

I just Wow!! when he sent me that idea.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chase22

Hello Chase,  clearly if a guest wants to haggle over price there are a seriously bad risk to that hosting.

As soon as the guest made the first approach regarding the price I would immediately stop any further contact with the guest. I do not haggle on price for anyone, not anyone....period!

Not even Brian Chesky himself would get a discount here.

I host to a standard, not a price, and if my price is not acceptable, go out and find some seedy motel in the area, you don't deserve what I offer.

The only reason potential 'guests' try this on is because there are hosts who are mug enough to take it on.

It is better to not host at all than to host to loose money! You have done the right thing mate, now just put this in the memory banks for the next request that comes in like that. Don't waste your time and effort on what is never going to be anything but a dud!

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks for the reply Robin

Yeah, he tried so hard for $6.

Love this approach, Robin!

"Not even Brian Chesky himself would get a discount here."  Awesome!

I also agree with everyone above in thinking that this was a guest that would have potentially ended up with more price cut requests and other issues.  Chase has done a good thing by refusing the offer of changing the payment rules in order to circumvent the Airbnb booing fee.

Apologies for the double post!