Guests keep showing up early.

Alana65
Level 1
Delaplane, VA

Guests keep showing up early.

Is this common?  Am I unreasonable to post a 5 pm checkin on my listing?   

13 Replies 13
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alana65 yes unfortunately, it is common but it shouldn't be. Make sure that you let your guests know that nobody will be home until 5PM (or whatever check in time you agree on) and there is no way for them to get in. Of course you don't really need to be away but when they know that you are not there they cant hope that you will be kind to let them in sooner. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alana65 

No matter what time you mention, guests will/want allways (try to) check-in earlier. My most extreme experience was a guest ringing my door bell at 07:00 am, as he "had to drive all night" and wanted to sleep...

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

So, so, so common. My last guest never answered my pre-arrival message asking when he planned to check in or whether to set up a futon or not. Of course the next day he arrives to check in 3 hrs early before my 3 pm check in and needs the futon made up! Good thing i didn't have guests checking out that day. It's self check in but I still like to go over and meet the guests to vet them a bit. Would have had no problem with guests coming in early if they communicate it with me clearly and in advance.

Also, I'd say I haven't ever seen a check in as late as 5 pm but it's your house, your rules, and anyone who books it should be okay with that. On average 2 or 3 pm seems to be about the norm on here.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Yes, I've had been arrive several hours before our 3 p.m. check-in time.  I have also had to send multiple messages or call guests to get their arrival details.  Guests seem to be under the impression that hosts have nothing to do but be available at any and all times at the property.  They don't consider that we have schedules, appointments, errands and personal activities.  I have a job, and work from home full-time, and must arrange my work schedule around guest check-ins.

I do offer for guests free luggage drop if a room isn't available earlier than the check-in time or later than the 11 a.m. checkout.  Guests may also pay a fee for early check-in and late checkout when available.  I also charge a fee of one day's rate for unauthorized late checkout.  This often happens when a guest has a late afternoon or an evening flight.  They want to stay in the comfort of their suite until they are ready to leave, but didn't consult with me beforehand. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Alana65, all too common I'm afraid, so you need to reiterate to them over and over the check in time. I send them a message as soon as they book that includes check in time (and asking them to let me know what time they expect to arrive so I can 'make sure I am home to meet them) and another one a couple of days before their check in date, reiterating the check in time and reminding them to let me know their ETA. 5pm is not unreasonable and if it doesn't suit your guests, they shouldn't book, full stop.

Alana65
Level 1
Delaplane, VA

Thanks everyone!   

I will consider making my checkin time earlier.  It’s a little hard though to get all the sheets and towels washed and dried and back on when one set of guests leave at ten and next ones arrive at 2 or 3.   Last week’s guests also did NOT leave by ten . . . 

Will definitely be more proactive about asking them when they plan to arrive and reminding them of checkin time.   One person wanted to checkin at 8 am!   I declined that guest because we had a family event that day and she would have been present for the whole thing! 

@Alana65 wrote:

Thanks everyone!   

It’s a little hard though to get all the sheets and towels washed and dried and back on when one set of guests leave at ten and next ones arrive at 2 or 3.  

You really should consider having double of everything! Having your sheets and towels for the next group all ready washed and folded will make your life so much easier. And the first time you have blood or something else on the outgoing guest sheets you will thank me. Pretreating and then removing the stains can take some time. [Ask me how I know.]

@Alana65 

we can host 8 guests at the time. We have everything x 5 (towels x 10)....and sometimes is not enough :)))

we use laundry service of course

It takes 3 times for information to process in a guests head. I mention it in the listing, in their Thank You for booking message and in the arrival information message. I also mention that there are no exceptions due to the housekeeper’s tight schedule and the probability of back-to-back bookings. 

I still get 1/4 of my guests asking for an early check in or check out due to airplane schedules. Everyone always has a flight in early and a flight out late. I always tell them to check in with me a couple days before their check in or check out to see if I have a back to back, and if I don’t I can have them come earlier. Sometimes if the housekeeper is cleaning that day even though it’s not a back to back I can always just say No. 

One tip- Get them doing stuff on their way in. I don’t know where you’re located by I’m always telling guests to pick up groceries and goodies for their stay on their way in to save time and money. Which is true for all my listings locations.. This will buy some time. And they will be grateful for the advice. I even tell them- This is what I offer (I.e: 2 rolls of PT and 4-6 of TP and soap and shampoo oil and salt and pepper- no spices, so if they want more they can get it.)

If you just can’t seem to stop them from requesting or arriving early- come up with a luggage drop area. A taped off area inside the front door with a sign is best-“Please Leave luggage in the taped area- please no using the facilities before the space is clean and proper for you”. And on the sign and in your message tell them that they are leaving their bags at their own risk and that you are not responsible for their belongings before check in or after check out. And then give them a few ideas for where to go grab a bite. You could even have photocopied handouts in a bin on the wall above the taped off baggage drop area that say “What to do around here while waiting to check in” and give them suggestions, along with trip recommendations for restaurants and activities. If it’s your home and weather permit, set up an area outside for them to sit and wait -if they are going to be hanging around. And have a bowl of wrapped crackers and water. This is all just suggestions but at some point you’ll know if you can keep them at bay or not. And if not, don’t get stressed about it- just find a way to herd them that works for you. 

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I put in my house rules "We do other things like work jobs while you're traveling down to get here. No one is standing at a hotel desk waiting for you. Please communicate your arrival time."

If they don't and just show up...I fire a message like "sorry hadnt heard from you on arrival..ill be back at xxx if that works.for you"

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Alana65 

There are hosts who work and therefore have guests check in at 5 o 6 p.m. because they want to do personal check ins.

Why are your guests turning up early though? Do you check with them as to their time for check in when they book, do you follow up with them if they don't reply to ensure they are checking in, within your check in time?

If not, these are things you can put in place to ensure your guests turn up within your check in time.

I did personal check in's post 5 p.m. for over a year and never had a guest turn up early because I always agreed their check in time with them in advance.

If your guests turn up early - just direct to a local attraction/restaurant etc

@Alana65    No, not unreasonable. But the check-in/check-out times on a listing is buried, in fact I cannot even see it on mine, nor on any other listings I looked at. Add it to your description and things to note and rules. But you also need to write the check-in time in a message to them and ask them to tell you what their arrival time is.  I also say I am not available all day so I do need to know their arrival time to confirm that I will be here to meet them. I also send links to baggage storage and local cafés where they can while away their time.  That usually gets their attention.

Hi

If you have set check in and check out times I would make sure you re-iterate this in any messages you send to guests. Just so they are definitely aware!

I offer a degree of flexibility for one property as I'm nearby - but I always ask my guest to provide an approximate arrival time and follow this up with a call or text when they are nearby (or if they are hugely delayed). I explain that although I am nearby I might be out or working, and I don't want them to have to hang about on my doorstep! Most guests have obliged and let me know.

For my other place, I offer self-check in (via Keycafe: https://www.airgms.com/airbnb-key-exchange/) as I'm not so close. I reiterate check-in and check-out time and it's worked well so far. I have a lovely cleaner who goes in after my guests leave, with Keycafe we both get a text to say the guest has left which is helpful! 

I have let guests check-in early in the past  (the place was vacated by the previous guests a couple of days before so it was all clean, tidy and ready), and I did receive a big thank you (plus a lovely review for being a helpful host), but sometimes It's just not possible to accommodate requests. I am always nice (but firm) if I can't help! 

Here's to hosting (and the craziness that goes with it)!!

I