Guests keep stealing blankets!

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Guests keep stealing blankets!

This has only happened to me twice, but it’s two times in a row. This is my 7th time hosting. The first time I had 4 blankets of 12 go missing. This time 2 went missing but they decided to leave a different fleece blanket in the place of the two that were taken (it doesn’t match and it’s old so that doesn’t do me any good). They are not very expensive (~18 per piece) but they are comfortable. How do I discourage this? I don’t have enough time between bookings to order new matching ones so this is expensive and highly detrimental to having my place ready for the next group.

19 Replies 19
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Cheryl389 Keep all the blankets you don't need locked. I also always personaly say goodbye to my guests and that is the way to see if everything is alright while they are still there. We also has guests take blankets and I saw immediately and confronted them, they said they must have packed them by mistake. How can you pack a big blanket by mistake. They returned them immediately. 

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I unfortunately often need all of the blankets since the home sleeps 12 and the 12 blankets are there so each guest could have one. I also rent a whole home out and don’t live on site, so I never see the guests. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Cheryl389 In that case it is going to be a bit harder. You can text the guests in the app to acknowledge that there are 12 blankets, take pictures before each check in and if any go missing ( or amything else) you will have proof that the current guests took it and you can file a claim for the money before your next guest checks in. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cheryl389 That really takes the cake.

In the house manual, make an entry like this:  “Blankets are the property of the owner and are of course provided for your comfort while you are visiting.  If any are missing after checkout, you will forfeit your entire security deposit.”

I’m sure you can think of something better that puts the fear of God into them, which is the goal.  And in the meantime, you can put a request for reimbursement through the resolution center.

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Thanks for the advice! I’m happy it was just blankets. So far everything else has been mostly good and I hope it stays that way.

@Cheryl389 There are guests who are not as good. In my near 1 year hosting, I had only one occurance of blanket missing.

There are small things missing like forks, spoons, and other kitchen or bathroom uses which are considered as normal cost.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alice595 

I had EXTRA forks and spoons sudenly apearing in my cuttlery set! Baffles me!

Who travels with their own spoon??

:-0

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Roberta2 I have spoons and forks disappearing, and one at a time... I don't know why take one spoon 🙂 And it happens all the time so I buy them with the same pattern to be able to replace. 

@Ana1136 I guess that they might have disposed it after use.

@Ana1136     It happens to me too.  I think they throw them into the garbage by accident. It's always the smallest items that go missing, the teaspoons and dessert forks.

Patricia3334
Level 6
Tennessee, United States

They throw it in the trash with their food by mistake or laziness. My teenage daughter did that for years!

@Roberta2 No wonder! My guests brought my spoons and forks and flew to your home 🙂

Charge them $100 per item in the resolution center for replacement cost. You MUST tell them before next guest arrives and do it through the inbox so Airbnb can see it if the guest doesn’t pay.

its not just the item but the cost of your time and gas to get them. I state in my rules that guests will be billed replacement cost for a full set if something breaks.

people are do sketchy these days.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Take pictures before EVERY new checkin after your listing is totally prepared for the new guests. A picture of the blankets - everything.

in 5 years hosting a 1000 guests , this is not normal or acceptable ! Make a claim if they steal your items. This needs to be done immediately they check out and BEFORE your next booking. 

Also message the guest. 

‘It was great hosting you, hope you got away ok. Just cleaning now and we are wondering if you moved some blankets? There were 12, see picture taken just before you arrived - could you let me know where they were left and maybe also check your bags as in the rush to leave your stuff and mine can easily have been jumbled together!  Appreciate it, thank you.’

non accusatory, if they took them, it’s eaay for them to say, ‘hey, yes, so sorry they got bundled up with our clothing. Once home we’ll post them back to you’

still raise the claim immediately with Airbnb. As back up and proof you are making a call for compensation and if the guest doesn’t respond or return items you have an open, documented case.  Keep everything re guests to airbnb platform, do not use WhatsApp, etc.