Guests keep stealing blankets!

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Guests keep stealing blankets!

This has only happened to me twice, but it’s two times in a row. This is my 7th time hosting. The first time I had 4 blankets of 12 go missing. This time 2 went missing but they decided to leave a different fleece blanket in the place of the two that were taken (it doesn’t match and it’s old so that doesn’t do me any good). They are not very expensive (~18 per piece) but they are comfortable. How do I discourage this? I don’t have enough time between bookings to order new matching ones so this is expensive and highly detrimental to having my place ready for the next group.

19 Replies 19
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Cheryl389  This seems very strange! In several years of hosting including whole-house properties we’ve never had anyone take a blanket. I would be curious enough to ask the guests why they took them.

For the first guest, I was pretty confused and I initially messaged her to ask, but she didn't respond. I then filed a dispute with the Resolution Center with no response. I saw sand all over my house, so I am assuming they used them as beach blankets and left them there. For the second, it seems like it was his friend who swapped it by mistake since they were "hungover"; he agreed to pay me for them via message, but hasn't yet. I am definitely curious myself.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cheryl389  we have never had this issue. Please involve Airbnb in this matter as to ensure any monies owned is repaid to you! Good luck to you 🙂

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And @Cheryl389 

as many hosts have stated, this is not normal. In 5 years , several hundred guests. 

I suggest removing these blankets  if there are so desirable that guests would steal them,  and just use bog standard blankets -  they cost a few $. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cheryl389 

I would buy a few more blankets, leave them in their original package and put a note: FOR SALE 30$  🙂