Guests with children! Any advice?

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

Guests with children! Any advice?

I have an upcoming reservation for a family with young children. I am a bit nervous about what could go wrong so I just wanted to ask if there are any tips, tricks or any preventative measures that other hosts may have to protect their home while still maintaining the guests have a good stay? Some details...

-The guest wrote me a nice and polite message in his request

-They have one excellent review

-The request is for two parents and 2 young children but their profile picture shows three children....

-The room would be cramped and uncomfortable if their third child comes along

-I have another guest staying on the property for an extended reservation so I am nervous about her having a comfortable stay

-I already made sure to inform both reservations of the others presence

Sorry for the lengthy post! 

5 Replies 5
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @TracieandJason0.  Our listing frequently hosts families with small children.  I ask the ages of the kids so I can remove and store any items that are breakable or unsafe for children.   I also make sure cleaning products are out of reach for little fingers.  I think it would be resonable for you to confirm with your family guests, the number of children that will be coming along for this stay. 

Thank you! I will definitely make sure to remove hazardize cleaning protects and anything fragile. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

waterproof mattress cover is a MUST HAVE !

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@TracieandJason0, based on your profile and your questions, I am going to leap to the assumption that you do not have children. [If, in fact you do have children, then none of this will be news to you.]

Tired children are far less destructive than antsy children who haven't had enough movement. Compile a list of child friendly parks within walking distance. If there any fee-based indoor play areas [quite popular in Boston these days], put them on the list as well. Is there a library nearby with a children's section? Another great way to give kids some special time.

Another list to compile are nearby restaurants that welcome young ones. Kiddie menus are not important [at least in our family,] but places with enough activity levels that a kid doesn't attract all of the attention. Some families like to eat on the early side, so noting which restaurants open at 5 or 5:30 is also helpful.

Childproofing your house won't be possible, but @Branka-and-Silvia0 is right, protect what you can including the mattresses.

Good luck!

Thank Susan for the tips! I didn't even think to make recommendations to my guests geared towards the children's fun.