Help before I post a negative review

James1560
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Help before I post a negative review

Hello Airbnb community, I've just experienced a very difficult guest and I know many other have too. I am preparing my review for the guest which is 100% true but before I do, I was wondering whether anyone else could perhaps comment before I post it.

Here is the review I'd like to post:

** <guest_name> and his friends are new to Airbnb and they were unfamiliar with the importance of following the house rules. On the second day of their stay, I had received an email and a phone call which had reached board level of my apartment block. The email stated  “We have had a number of serious noise complaints coming from your property The complaints are not only excessive noise disturbance but include loud threats of violence and drug use, ongoing until 3.30am on Monday and Tuesday night.” This is not what any Airbnb host ever wants to hear and I was forced to call the Police and raise the incident with Airbnb. Once he and his friends had left my home I was able to assess the situation and it wasn’t good. There was clear use of Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas), vomit on the bedding and linen and the floor, hand marks on the walls, cigarette burns in my sofa and outside table and even a missing personal gift left by a Japanese guest …. the list goes on. I strongly suggest that you do not allow this person into your home. **

Could you please let me know your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? As it currently stands, I've lost all faith in the platform and have cancelled my bookings and blocked the calendar. 

56 Replies 56
Laylee0
Level 6
Gateshead, United Kingdom

@James1560  How long have you been hosting for? Don’t lose faith because of this one guest and his friends! I very nearly did the same thing but after talking to other hosts here I learned my lessons and adjusted my listings accordingly, which is probably what most other hosts will tell you to do also. You can also choose not to accept anyone who hasn’t used ABB before, until you learn the ropes. Maybe only accept guests with 3-5 reviews to start with? 

Obviously the damages caused and the complaints received are bad and I really feel for you! But if you actually enjoy hosting I would consider unblocking your calendar and just being stricter with who you allow to book. I read on here that guests who don’t have Instant Book on will come lower down in the rankings, so maybe have it on but really chat to your guest in the messages when they book, to get a sense of them, and you can always cancel within 24hrs penalty-free if you get a bad feeling. 

I hope they left a big security deposit to cover damages!

I live in the house i host in though so all this might be easier for me than you so maybe other hosts will chime in who rent out whole properties too. 

James1560
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laylee0 , thanks for the quick response. I've been doing this solid now for a year. My very first guest was bad but I stuck with it and I've managed to achieve Super Host status. Do I enjoy hosting... not really because this is my home and every time I have a new guest, I am always nervous. I have considered staying in the property but people seem to like the entire place for themselves.

In terms of the review I'm about to post do you have any comments to make on that please?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Looks fine to me. I would remove the first sentence. Speculative, and adds nothing.

James1560
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa723 , that's interesting you said that about the first sentence because I pulled that from another post here on the community but I agree with you. Thanks for the feedback.

Laylee0
Level 6

@James1560 Sorry I looked at your listing after I posted, should’ve done that first! I think the review is fine.It describes what they were like and warns other hosts but maybe shorten it a bit and be less emotional in it (I know that’s hard though but I suppose it’s best to be short, sharp and to the point)? 

“Cannot recommend guest. Received several noise complaints from neighbours which reached the board of the apartment block and police were called out to deal with the incident. Checking the property after guest had left revealed drug use, theft, vomit which hadn’t been cleaned up, and general disrespect for the space and items within it. I strongly advise other hosts not to allow this guest into their home.” 

?? Anyone else ??

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James1560 

Yes to above but I think the reference to drug use even if it is a big thing could potentially be grounds to have the review taken down. Airbnb are very image conscious and they prefer to take down reviews which mention illegal activity even if it is factual, than sensor them.  Maybe refer to them as « use of suspective substances » or alike.

Thanks. 

Yadira 

@Yadira22  - Great advice. I have read about reviews being taken down which I obviously want to avoid. So, I'll do as you suggested. Thank you 

Hi, I agree that the shortened review reads better. Less emotion when dealing with difficult guests has  worked better for myself. I have decided not to use the instant book feature because I want to chat first with guests. I don't think this is a huge detriment for me because of where our abb is located, there aren't as many you choose from. But I would suggest that you use the booking requirements and be able to screen your potential guests better. I think you'll get more respectful guests that way. Good luck to you!

James1560
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Debi57 I was worried about losing my Superhost status if I cancelled his booking. It was only after the event that I read that I could cancel up to 3 times a year if Instant Book is enabled without affecting my status. But thanks for your message. For the time being I will stop all hosting until I feel comfortable that Airbnb are there to help hosts. 

Laylee0
Level 6

@James1560 Sorry and definitely include threats of violence etc too and the 3.30am part 

James1560
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Laylee0 , I'm so appreciative of both you and @Lisa723 for helping me with this. I'm taking both of your comments onboard and will re-write this. Thanks a lot.

Laylee0
Level 6

No problem! Good luck and hope everything works out!

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

@James1560 As a host, I appreciate real comments from other hosts - and we try to leave them as well. Personally, I'd lead off with "I cannot recommend this person." or similar and then bullet point the reasons why. "Cops had to be called during their stay, they stole items and vomit and drug paraphernalia left behind..." etc. Short and to the point.

That would be enough for me to cancel them.

@Amy-and-Brian0 - thank you for the feedback. I wanted to give future hosts a good description but I understand what you're saying here, short and to the point does its job.