Host Insurance

Barry4
Level 2
Glebe, Australia

Host Insurance

I have just started hosting and havent resolved the risk associated with guest accidents and property damage yet.  Is HPI the default cover we get from Airbnb at no additional cost?  Premiums absorbed in the guest fees?  Seems as though in other threads its a faux cover with claims hard to get through. And not many independent insurers will offer contents insurance where airbnb happenning.  Does anyone have suggestions for injury and property damage cover in Australia?

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Barry4 The Airbnb Host Guarantee really is for extreme, high dollar cost, protection.  You should have your own cover for damages, theft, etc.  I hear that a company called CBIZ offeres cover in Australia. 

Thanks Clare.  I appreciate your response.

@Clare thanks for the suggestion.  Much appreciated.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barry4 @Clare0......Hi Barry, Forget all about the HPI....it is a cleverly crafted marketing tool which you, in practice, would find of no use to you in event of a damage claim.

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here!

If you simply have a household general policy there is every possibility the company you have that with will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform.

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) I suggest that you use Sharecover.com if you are hosting a few guests per month! This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it. AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella!

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM and is based in Victoria. All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the robe cupboard to the bed....they will not be covered!

Barry, I suggest you get onto all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than use your local insurance representative. I have found from years of experience reps tend to promote that which is in their best interests rather than what is in the clients!!

But Barry, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

PS: I am really sorry to have to disagree with @Clare0, she has an absolute wealth of knowledge in all aspects of hosting with Airbnb and has given countless good quality helpful posts but, in this instance CBIZ are an American company who, whilst offering a type of hosting insurance, are not active in the Australian market.....at least not that I am aware of

Perhaps Clare, or another of the great United States contibutors could compile a short list of insures who operate in this field in the US......cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 My bad if CBiZ is not in Australia!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clare0 No such thing as 'my bad' .....you are a gem!!....cheers....Rob

Hey @Robin4

are you trying to say that there are too many of us lawyers in the US or too many stupid people who spill hot coffee on themselves needing to hire a lawyer to sue McDonalds?  HAHAHAHAH  (just a post to make everyone laugh. Couldn't resist after I read what you wrote about our litigious country)

@Barry4 @Clare0  I know deep down inside Robin wishes he could live in the US too.  hee hee hee

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Momi0....I have stood in the exact spot where Meg Ryan found a teddy bear and lost her heart in Sleepless in Seattle. I have walked down Broadway in the middle of a snow storm! I have taken a helicopter ride up the Wiamea Canyon.......I have even stood in front of 'Beaver Liquors' in Beaver Creek!!!! And....as an Australian, I have never forgotten the fact that American heroism and good old might was the only thing that stood between Australia and the Japanese during World War Two! And that is why we love America and what America stands for...we don't forget our friends, and those who help us....And that is why we will always stand behind you in any way we can.

But live in America....no way, this is Gods country and I wouldn't have it any other way.....cheers.....Rob

And this reply of yours my dear friend is why I love love my Aussie clients!  They truly appreciate our brave military and values.  

I laughed so hard after reading your posts because you have done one thing more then I have from YOUR list....can't check off Beavers Creek. But can you say this....."I picked all of my fruit while naked in Tahiti as well as the eggs from the chicken coop.  And even prepared the breakfast naked too.  Now that's living.  haha

Can't wait to visit my friends again in Melbourne.  May need to look you up.....do you own a helicopter?  😉

hows your entire family doing?

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Momi0....Geez Momi, I think that's a bit too much information!!!!! Although I have been to Tahiti and I would have to say Moorea is paradise on earth. We hired a car and drove around it, and after every corner we just gasped at the lovelyness of it! Much like Hilo!

Hey, tell me is 'The Cheesecake Factory' still going on the Kalakaua Ave drag?...Had some great meals there! 

I did own a helicopter once, but it was a scale model......... 20 years before it was fashionable to have scale model helicopters. I took it out for a flight one day and in my enthusiasm let it get beyond the range of my remote control. That was the last time I saw it as it headed for the sea!

If you are ever this way you are a squillion % welcome!

The family...oh hell, how do I answer that one. As I said in another post the other day, in my life I have had to sit in front of a Neurologist twice as he tells one of my girls she has Multiple Sclerosis, the last time being 2 weeks ago!!

Statistically Momi, that is like a father and a son both being bitten by the same shark at some time in their lives. But we will cope, we still have a lot of fun, We are a lovely warm family who 'don't sweat the small stuff', I just love hosting....

and as Peter Allen so perfectly summed it up.......I still call Australia Home!!! Cheers.....Rob

Hey @Robin4

Just found the post that you wrote so I could reply to it without giving you any more images of why Bora Bora was my absolute fav place in the world to date....after visiting 32 countries now.  I think you forgot to add one more ! to your word "information"....lol

but yeah the restuarant Cheesecake Factory is still on Kalakaua Ave with their daily 2 hour wait (I would never do that). I go straight into the bar area where I get food & drinks right away. Yikes, I just let out my secret move. haha

Good news, did you hear, the International Marketplace will reopen Aug 2016 which is gonna be huge for us Hawaiians.  I can't wait. My uncle is the Hawaiian advisory on this rebuild that everyone loves to visit for all different reasons. 2 long years of waiting is finally approaching.....and the Hawaiian blessing ceremony is not to be missed. I'll be there for sure.

Thank you for letting me know I can visit you should I find my way in your part of Gods country!  Hoping to do that in 2017.  Do you offer a special rate for Superhosts who come bearing gifts like delicious tasting Hawaiian pineapples?  haha

and between you and me, I was as disappointed in "Helgas" reply too as I did not attack anyone in my attempt to answer his question, since clearly he asked for help in posting that concern right?  I noticed this younger generation in our country seems to have a hard time hearing the truth...no matter how we wrap and deliver it for them. Guess I should have wrapped my answer in soft blue paper.  NOT!

Aloha, Momi

Thanks Robin this was very helpful!

Thanks so much for you comments Robin.  Very happy you saw my question/post!