Host Safety

Greg20
Level 2
Wilmington, NY

Host Safety

Greetings,

I've been hosting guests at Airbnb for almost five years and have always taken my personal safety as paramount and experienced absolute utter disregard from a Case Manager and their Supervisor today in attemptng to resolve the following.

I received an Instant Booking reservation this morning and that reservation was follow-up up by an email that articulated that the reservation was made on behalf of a friend and they would not be staying at my property.  I quickly articulated that I don't accept third-party reservations and that they would have to cancel the reservation and then rebook it under the proper name, ID, etc.  I also called the Superhost # to articulate this concern (call was routed to the Aribnb Call Center in France) where they promptly put the guest reservation ahead of my personal considerations and stated that I would have to cancel the reservation and then Airbnb would evaluate if I would be penalized for cancelling the reservation.

I stated that if I was a single female living in a rural community that I suspected their response have have been different regarding personal safety and that they placed the guest ahead of the Host relative to penalizing my Superhost status (320 plus reviews) and utter disregard for my articulation of personal safety.

Has anyone else experienced this with Airbnb?

5 Replies 5
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Greg20 Sorry to hear about this negative experience. I've had a different result with basically the same scenario, a third-party reservation. I contacted the superhost # and explained the situation. They took some time to investigate and speak with the other side. In the end, the reservation was cancelled without my intervention. I couldn't have been more happy with the support - objective, knowledgable, and efficient. There obviously can be differing experiences, but I wanted to play devil's advocate.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Greg20,

Third party bookings are not allowed, Airbnb should respect their own terms of Service and act accordingly by cancelling the reservation !

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

best regards,

Emiel

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It seems to me that you were working with a poorly trained cs rep, @Greg20 .  I have had that sort of response when I seek for Air BNB to cancel any reservation that does not meet Air BNB policy.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I also got help from Airbnb CS in cancelling a 3rd party reservation at my request since it is a violation of the terms  - this happened just last month. I would maybe try calling back to see if you get another rep?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Greg20  If you don't get any satisfaction by phone, try messaging them on Twitter @airbnbhelp. Did you call the Superhost number or the regular number?