Host did not cancel reservetion

Anna2331
Level 1
Poznań, Poland

Host did not cancel reservetion

Host of house booked by me did not cancel my reservation even though the place was not available to stay (he insisted that he cancelled a long time ago, but we did not get any info about it and reservation was still listed as active). We found out about it at the arrival and had to find in a hurry new place which was more expensive (200 eur compared to 150). Is there an option to get back the 50 euro price difference?

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anna2331   If I understand you correctly, the host sent you a message that the reservation was cancelled for some reason, but since the reservation was still active, you showed up anyway.  Is that correct?  Then you had to find another place to stay and it cost you more money.  Did you contact Air BNB?  If not, then here is a link for a guide to contacting Air BNB.  Hopefully you communicated with the host on the Air BNB message system so the Air BNB staff can see the host communication to you.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Anna2331
Level 1
Poznań, Poland

@Linda108That's the thing I did not get any information before arrival that it is not possible to stay. When I showed up it turned out someone is renting this place pernamently and when I finally managed to contact the host (phone number from airbnb was not available, had to get new number from person that was renting that place) he said that he cancelled all reservations and an offer long time ago and is not offering this place at airbnb anymore. The problem is reservation was not cancelled, airbnb agreed to cancel reservation by host fault and return it's price + 10%, which is cool but still it does not refund 50 additional euro spent not by my fault.

@Anna2331  It's not your fault that the host did not honor your reservation, but I don't think Airbnb is contractually liable for any additional expenses you incurred as a result of this mishap. 

If this ever happens to you again, I would recommend getting an Airbnb rep on the Urgent phone line before you book a replacement room, as in some situations like these they've been able to re-house guests directly. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anna2331 

Sorry this happened. Direct your question to Airbnb - hosts do not do anything with money.

Your agreement is with Airbnb - NOT the host. 

I can tell you that in many instances hosts are penalized $50  (U.S. dollars) for a cancellation like this. - You could  demand that money from Airbnb.  

Good luck.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Anna2331 this was not your fault of course, but lesson learnt should be to always get in touch with the host a few days before to finalize the details