Hosting business travellers

Marianna10
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

Hosting business travellers

I have all the qualifications to host business travellers - just a bit nervous if there are really late check-in's -anyone got any thoughts?

14 Replies 14
Steve55
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

The concept of Business traveller hosting seems to go against the original ethos of Airbnb which was to rent out a spare room on a casual basis.  Do you know of any traditional b&b's that offer  a 24 hour check-in service?   If someone needs it they should stay in a hotel.

Steve 

Thanks, Steve - you make a really good point.  I like to meet and greet everyone who arrives at our door and not knowing who is in the house just makes me a bit uncomfortable.  I'll probably not do it.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Marianna10 You can end up with late check-ins whether business travel or just on vacation. As long as you set it up so that you don't have to be there when they check in, it shouldn't matter what time they arrive.

Thanks  - wat you wrote is helpful - I actually do have a locked box outside the suite which I code for each traveller so in essence I can be "traveller " ready if I want to.  Just not sure I want someone in the house I haven't said "Welcome' to first.

@Marianna10 I don't think it's a huge deal. We like to greet guest upon arrival, but sometimes we're out for the evening, or sometimes they come late at night and we're in bed. No big deal...we just greet them in the morning.

I'm beginning to think I am convinced to try the business route because we have a University here plus some colleges and I know visiting profs travel for classes.  I liked your last remark - thanks again for taking the time to talk via the internet.  BTW what does Level 10 mean by the thumbnail of the two of you?

Waundell0
Level 4
New York, NY

If you can't check guests in during the middle of the night then make sure your profile says "no check ins past ___PM" or until whatever time you are able to stay up.  

Some guests do have travel plans that change at the last minute. But if they read your policy up front and then still go book a red eye and you can't accommodate the arrival time, then I honestly would say they are out of luck. 

I stopped booking a repeat guest who would not respect my time frame. I asked the person to always keep up communication about travel schedule and arrival time. I was always assured a certain time of arrive but that never happened and it always left me waiting up late for hours. So I stopped booking that guest altogether.

But be very frank up front. If you worry that it may limit your booking inquiries from those that can't change their travel plans perhaps you can engage a friend that could assist you in doing a late check in for you. I once paid a friend for checking in someone while I was out of town.

Thanks, Wendell - Gosh, that was not a nice situration you found yourself in with a disrespectful guest.  I could say no guests check in past 11 p.m. but that goes against the policy of AirBnB saying 24 hours availablity.  That's the tricky part - and anyway I do wonder (living on an island) how many travellers can check in in the middle of the night here.  We do roll up the carpets about midnight!!!

Scott4
Level 2
Richland, WA

I'd go for it just to help search results for your place. I'm fortunate as my only airbnb is the other half of my duplex so meeting guests at odd hours is not a problem. Really, though, my experience is business travelers arrive the same way and time as any other guests do. If anything the business guest is gone (working!) more than most guests and cleanup is even easier. Perhaps an unlucky 7% end up inside spending hours on their computer.

Victoria is certainly much bigger than my little town in eastern Washington state but I figure inbound flights from points east still arrive around 11;00PM at the latest. More important for you would probably be last ferry arriving schedule. Just remember that business travelers are no different than anyone else and really dislike getting into a place at late hours. Heck, I recently had a family arrive really really late because the Interstate through the Columbia Gorge was closed (rail car derailment) and the traffic jam was rerouted.

Sigh. Victoria! Most people around here head for the Oregon beaches but my wife and I like your area so much more. Good luck what ever you do. 

Yes, you are right about the advantages of living on an Island - there really are no "red eyes' here and ferries don't come in much past 10 p.m. so I could re think it.  We like your part of the world as well - perhaps we'll meet one day.

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Marianna10, 24 hour checkin is a requirement of "business-ready".  If you cannot provide that amenity then your listing should not feature the "business-ready" badge (or whatever it is called).  I don't think I have ever had a guest check in after 10/11pm.

24-Hour Check-in

Business travelers must be able to check in whenever they need to. If you cannot greet them, you can leave a key in a secure spot, use a keypad entry system, or have someone else greet travelers.

You are correct Stephanie, 24 hour check in is 24 hours so with that in mind I'll re-think it . I am running this not as a business per se but a way to help people enjoy our city and what we consider to be our part of Paradise.  Plus I'm a 'people person'.  Thanks for replying.

Put a programmable combo lock on your front door, Schlage locks are available even in HomeDepot. Send the door combo to the new guests ahead of time so they can come in without your assistance (that's your 24h checkin). You don't have to personally greet them, just leave the house rules/instructions, etc. on the table. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  I do have a book  (looseleaf) with my photos of places to visit and things to do in our city, plus of course our house rules.  I like your idea of leaving a note for people checking in late and we are not around to greet them at that time.  We have a wonderful local chocolate store here so I could leave those with the note instead of beside the bedside table!