Housekeeping during extended stay vs perceived privacy intrusion

Housekeeping during extended stay vs perceived privacy intrusion

In our locality we are not allowed to turn the 2nd of 2 homes within the same parcel into a short term rental, in spite the fact that both homes are separate and have two different addresses. Because of that we are looking into evntually turning it into a 30+ day furnished AirBnb offering the same exact amenities our exising STR listing offers. We wish to protect our property precisely by making the convenience of weekly housekeeping part of not only what's included, but what our guests need to expect, as allowing our housekeepers entry to the premises during their stay will be part of what they'd agree to. This wouldn't only protect our property against abuses and even some of the normal wear and tear expected from long term tenancy, but would also protect our guests from security deposit losses or future conflicts and money requests. 

Has anyone have experience running 30+ stays with integrated scheduled  housekeeping? Has anyone encountered opposition to this or problems from guests perceiving it as a lack of privacy? 

2 Replies 2
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Richard-and-Isabel0 in my experience they only see it as a plus. I clean every 4 days no matter how long the stay is but always ask first about the time so that we don't disturb the guests. They can stay during the cleaning process if they don't want to leave their belongings unattended. I am sure they will appreciate a clean and maintained space.

@Richard-and-Isabel0 

I host exchange students for 1~4 months (=1 semester) in my private room listing and I stated upfront in my listing description that hosts may need to enter the guest room to change sheets or open/close the window or empty trash during the day when the guest is not home. We make it clear that we do our best to respect the guest's privacy, not disturb their personal items and will not enter the room unless we absolutely have to. We haven't had any complaints from guest till now. Many of our guests feel comfortable enough to leave the guest bedroom door wide open when leaving for school in the morning and also even sometimes sleep with the door not completely closed. I think it's a matter of clear communication with the guest to manage expectations and make sure guest and host are both comfortable. 

We don't have a fixed schedule but we do pop our head into the room for a really quick 5 sec scan or are able to see how much the trash bin is filled thru the open door every 4~6 days. We change guest sheets about every 2 weeks which is how often we change our own sheets. We don't mind or care about clothes strewn around the room or if the room is messy. We do care about general hygiene, questionable smells and anything that might attract bugs.