How can I get my guests to be more security conscious?

Daniel127
Level 5
Barcelona, Spain

How can I get my guests to be more security conscious?

Hello people, I have a recurring problem with some of my guests. I live in the center of Barcelona and I make it very clear to all of my guests apon arrival that the front door of my apartment needs to be closed at all times. I explain to them the risk of burgalary because of my central location and yet I regularly come home to find my front door not just unlocked but totally open with no one in the apartment. I have a sign on my front door asking for it to be locked at all times.

I've thought about putting in my rules that leaving the front door open constitutes a breach of house rules and therfore there will be penalties. My problem is that there is no real way to enforce this as far as I'm aware.

I do not have a complicated front door, it shuts and locks the same as every other door I've ever come across. Some of the guests just don't seem to understand the danger they are putting us all in.

Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

7 Replies 7
Daniel127
Level 5
Barcelona, Spain

*upon

*burglary

Also a few other typos, mistakes. 😄

Karsten0
Level 10
Heidelberg, Germany

@Daniel127 Hey Daniel,

I've had that problem too, though not frequently. But I am always very upset when my guests don't lock the door by key although I my house rules clearly ask them to and I always repeat this information when welcoming them. Now, the sum of the measures below work pretty well. What you can do is:

- only accept guests with reviews and good reviews

- turn off instant book so you know who is coming to your place

- put it into your house rules and include a code into your house rules that must be provided when requesting a booking. This way you know if guests have read your house rules.

- welcome your guests personally if possible and tell them again

- tell them that you will write a review after they checked out (so they know that any misdemeanor can be a problem for them when trying to book in the future

- Tell them to always send you a message once they have checked out (if you cannot do the check out in person), then if they send you that message ask them again if they have locked the door

Michael

Rae1
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

I am nervous about a guest who is listed as being a member since 2011 but does not have any reviews. Any idea why this would be? Is there a way to contact someone at Airbnb? 

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Common question, here on the boards...

I think the consensus is to get a spring closer for the door so it closes automatically and get a door lock that locks automatically, like hotels have.

Daniel127
Level 5
Barcelona, Spain

Hey @Scott80, I read these boards on a daily basis and it doesn't seem to be a common question to me. Please don't trivialise a persons query because if everyone did that then no one would ask for help. Your suggestion however is greatly appreciated and I will look into it.

"Please don't trivialise a persons query because if everyone did that then no one would ask for help."

Actaully, if people searched for previsouly asked questions it would have the oppisite effect. By searching before posting, people would get better, more-accurate answers more quickly. Unanswered questions would recieve more attention. As it is now every thought-provoking question and topic for discussion is lost in between repeated questions like: What's the phone number? Where is my money? Why am I not Superhost?

Ashly0
Level 2
Baton Rouge, LA

Definitely put it in your house rules. Then if violated, you have recourse through Air. If it were me, I would also say there is a fine for each occurance. $5.00 USD or something. Then you can go into the reservation and request money through Air for infractions. Air may handle it as a dispute and have the final say, but it is a reflection on your guests overall.