How did my guest have to pay so much?

Gordon8
Level 1
Budapest, Hungary

How did my guest have to pay so much?

Dear All,

My apartment in Budapest has the price listed in dollars.  I recently had a reservation request for 3 night from May 26-29.  The price for the time was 532 USD- about 16 USD.  I then began talking to the client and discovered the price he would have to pay for the time was 576 Euros or over 600 USD (assuming the listed exchange rate of 1.09).  Even with a 3% currency exchange rate and the airbnb fee, I have not been able to make sense of the difference in price.  So relating to this I have several questions:

1)  How was this number arrived at?

2)  How can I see how much the guests are paying for the apartment?

3)  Is there a way I can work with multiple currencies?  I have three different currency accounts at my bank and I could accept Euros, dollars, or forints - I just do not know how to list in multiple currencies.

Thanks,

Gordon

1 Reply 1
Agatha1
Level 2
New York, NY

Hey there, 

My boyfriend lives in Europe and we have noticed that if we book an American room from an American account (my own) it is cheaper than booking from his European account. Same for when we were traveling in Europe, we booked everything from his account. I'm not sure how the conversion rates are calculated. I know this isn't that helpful, but I just wanted to reassure you that you are not going crazy. But I do think a large part of the discrepancy is the airbnb fee, since it is much higher on the guest's end than the host's end. 

Hope that is somewhat helpful! 

Agatha