How did you decide on your custom URL?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How did you decide on your custom URL?

454124_GettyImages-153337838_ForYou.jpg

Hiya everyone,

With the rollout of the personalised URLs, hosts have been going to town with designing the most chique links for their listings but there are many things to consider when crafting these! 

Put your marketing hat on and really sell that listing in a concise, eye-catching and informative way. Whether you’ve gone for a Pauls-pad-in-paradise or a Host-on-the-coast, it’s fun to have a play around with this.

So then, have you created your custom URL? If so, what made you pick your choice of wording?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

17 Replies 17

@Aaron207  Those numbers are just something the forum moderators assigned so that we could tag anyone in a post easily. It used to be, not that long ago, that when you hit the @symbol to tag, only a maximum of 5 names came up in the drop down box. Then they revamped it so if the name isn't in that initial box, you start typing in the name of the poster you are responding to and another box will come up, where you can hopefully find the name. 

You can't change the number. I think they were assigned based on chronology- like you're probably the 207th Aaron to join the forum since its inception.

If your mom had named you Skizzard, you'd probably have a 0 after your name 🙂

Celeste89
Level 3
San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico

My  co-host and I have been talking about custom links for my two vacation rentals and he brought up several good  questions, which could affect our final decision. First of all, are these custom links going to be used primarily to promote the listings within Airbnb or to promote them on the Internet in general by way of a search engine? Also if it's within Airbnb, is there a point to this other than to have something catchy on a business card?

One of my listings is Aquarius Soak & Chill which has a cowboy soaking tub fed from a mineral water well.   With a private backyard, it is ideal for a clothing optional getaway.   So do we go with something like clothing-optional-New-Mexico or new - Mexico - Hot -Springs?   Or are those too long? 

The other side of the  duplex doesn't have a soaking tub but the house is located in the Hot Springs Historic District so it's very close to all of the soaking establishments.   it's colorfully painted and furnished and called Caribe.  it has an artist drafting table and stool, plus this entire area is great for stargazing because there are no Street lamps, so my co-host thinks we should call this one something like Stargazing-artist-retreat or artist - stargazing- retreat.

Will will these custom links help steer people looking for specific amenities that don't have a destination in mind? Or should we assume that they will all know that this is located in the town of Truth or Consequences which in itself is kind of a quirky thing?

In closing, I'm sure it's obvious that we are in a total state of confusion which isn't made any better by the lack of info as to how these custom links will be used and how they will help us host. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that some additional guidance or information would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Celeste89 ,

Great to hear about your listings and questions. I have to tell you, that soak and chills sounds absolutely marvellous. We shared a bit more information about how to prepare and use the URL here: Superhost URL.

The URL you make is purely a vanity item for you to share on your social media, print and any other comms you wish to employ to advertise. If you wanted to be able to track this you could consider wrapping it in a tracking link as well - one for Google to find a good provider! 

I'd recommend including descriptors and the biggest draw points/key words - imagine you have to describe your listing in 3 words and play with that. 

Regarding your comment about Truth and Consequence, I have to say, when I saw your post pop up I had to give it a Google. What a story! 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines