How to appropriately review messy guests?

Answered!
Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

How to appropriately review messy guests?

Hi, everyone.

We are still pretty new to hosting. 

So far, everything has gone pretty well--until this morning.  We had a couple and a relative booked for a one night stay.  When they left our guesthouse this morning, it was--well kind of a mess

They had re-arranged all the living furniture for some reason, thrown all our sofa pilows on the floor, clearly had eaten on the living room table (house rules state to please at dining table),  there were food remains on the table as well as the floor, dirty dishes in the sink(we ask to please wash your dishes prior to departure), trash not taken out, lights left on, wet towels thrown on the floors, etc. 

They were pleasant enough when they checked in last night and I always point out the welcome sheet with the house rules on the table. 

I am not sure how to review them. 

Am I too picky by asking to please leave the guest house in the condition they found it?  We do charge a small cleaning fee.

Thank you,

Ann   🙂

1 Best Answer
Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

I just had a message from the guest who made the above booking. In her message she says is unhappy I gave her a bad review. She wishes I had discussed it directly with her rather than posting a bad review. She says she thought they did not leave a mess and tells me it's a real pity I gave her this bad review because she was going to recommend my place to some of her friends. I assume this is an attempt by her to get me to change my review by tempting me with another booking. However, why would I want her friends to stay here, when for all I know they have the same dirty habits? My review is not changing.

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Interesting is how some people manage to leave a mess after just 1 night...  I always wonder how their home looks like ???

Leave short and factual warning to other hosts, something like:

"We hosted x and y for just 1 night. They were pleasant at check in but we can recommend them  with a restriction because more then usual cleaning time was required after they left. "  and then you can add "We would not host them again"

Give them lower rating for cleanliness and if you want tumb down.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

It doesn't matter whether you are too picky or not-- if your rules are clear and they didn't follow them, thumbs down.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ann489

Whether they realized it or not, the behavior shows a lack of respect for your property. And some hosts may disagree, but I don't think you can "teach" a guest respect with gentle private feedback.

For me, the review would be something like:

"X and Y were pleasant to communicate with. They stayed one night and rearranged all the furniture. They also broke a few house rules and extra time for cleaning was necessary."

I would give them 3 or less stars for cleanliness and a thumbs down.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Suzanne302, @Lisa723, @Branka-and-Silvia0

Thank you so much for your input everyone--your suggestions are all super-helpful!  🙂

PS: is there any way to see a breakdown of a guests rating? 

@Ann489

If you have Instant Book turned on you can see their star rating. It shows "Overall rating" on your phone when you click on "Details" from any message the guest has sent.

I haven't figured out how to see the breakdown on the phone app, but if you do the same thing from a laptop/desktop, you can actually click on "Overall rating" and a window pops up showing the breakdown of stars for Communication, Cleanliness, and Observance of House Rules.

@Suzanne302  That option is not available on the phone app. Just like posting pictures for check in is only an option on the phone app not the computer. AirBnB is not consistent with it's options on either device, so you have to work around them using both the phone app and the computer. Really pisses me off. I prefer the computer, but I do have to go to the phone app to do some things as it's the only way or the easier way. They need to fire every computer programmer they outsource and start fresh with high paid new blood to fix the issues and make them uniformed. 

Suzanne,

I love your response! Airbnb needs to get there act together! They are making millions and we struggle with their different platforms!

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Ann489, you already have a really awesome review suggestion from @Suzanne302. I just want to comisserate regarding rearranging the furniture. My BIGGEST pet peeve, it is even in my House Rules that it is not allowed. <SIGH> I just don't get what gets into people making them want to do that. My husband says they just want to make it "theirs", put their stamp on it, kind of like a dog marking his territory LOL. It just makes me grind my teeth.  If they would just put it all back so I never knew, no problem, don't make more work for me. IF their arrangement was better, it might be ok, but it never is. BAH! Fortunately, most of my guests have been pretty awesome.

@Ava30 Luckily I don't have that problem myself, as I just rent a guest room in my home, and there is literally nowhere to re-arrange anything in there to.

My girls and their friends used to love playing "fort" (I think all kids do) and all the chairs and benches in the house would end up in the backyard if it was a nice day, draped in towels and sheets. But they outgrew that by the time they were about 11. 

I guess you could be grateful they're just moving the furniture to mark their territory, not pissing on the walls 🙂

I see that on a lot of wedding venues if you move the furniture there will be a charge I never knew this was such a thing people like to do!! my in laws always tipped my lamp shades to get more light and personalized the room for themselves. so interesting hosting!!! I had people leave all my cup towels strewn all over the lawn ?! I had people burn candles ( in a barn with horses and hay) the candles melted ALL over my sofa.. a mother daughter were THE messiest! and the mom blamed her daughter! I gave a direct review, charged an additional cleaning fee and said I would not host them again. truly that is the best part of airbnb that people are so happy to be allowed in this setting they leave it nicer than they received it if we all keep honest reviews them we can unify and not have this happen to others !

@Lauren456-😳 geez that just sounds awful.  As a new host myself, are we are able to see if guests are not recommended to be hosted again?

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ann489  Give them a thumbs down. Whether you charge a cleaning fee or not these guests knew better. Would they let someone do that in their own homes? I highly doubt it. In addition to what the others have said I would include a private message to the guest expressing that a short term rental is not a hotel and they way they left you home was not acceptable. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ann489, yep, it's a thumbs down for me - it's just not acceptable to leave someone's house in that condition.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann489

"Nice people are not always great guests. As pleasant as xxxxxxx group was, they gave my cleaner a devil of a time and, as nice as they were, I would decline the offer to host them again"!

That's it, short and simple, you have got your point across and not accused them of anything other than being messy guests!

Cheers.....Rob