How to overcome guests with hotel expectations

Ele11
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

How to overcome guests with hotel expectations

Hi all,

Our lovely two bedroom unit has been booked consistently over the past few months but recently we have been receiving feedback from guests that has us puzzled. “How to make toast without it burning”, “beds were too small”, “couldn’t find the wifi login details” and more are all things clearly outlined in our listing/check in process via Air BnB. Has any one else experienced this trend whereby guests in peak season (summer for us) are rookies to the Air BnB community and thus expect the hotel style check in process, explicit instructions around the place etc? Any tips or tricks how to overcome this would be great! 

29 Replies 29
Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Ele. I recommed you provide detailed instructions on your listing, message your guests frequently, and provide a welcome folder inside your property. You can not repeat this information often enough! 

Include check in, check out, appliances, heating, air-con, contact details, directions, parking,  groceries, Doctor emergencies, things to see and do, restaurants, key instructions,  garbage, house rules etc etc.

And after all of that, you will still get occasional (rare) unreasonable guests who expect more. Be polite, dust yourself down and start again. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ele11 You've got a cracking listing there with some great pics and nice reviews (apart from the 'beds are too small' one!). I guess it's a case of the Airbnb world of high expectations and the "I want more for less" crowd.

Like @Steven65 says, a welcome folder (I've gone for an A5 version myself) will fix most of the check in glitches, but it does need to be quite Janet and John (my first page is 'Here's the WiFi code, as you'll want to get online sharpish', and so on).

As for the bed issue, this may be two-fold (it does look a little small on pic!), your double may not be our double, and some countries (especially with the taller folk) might just have bigger beds!

IMG_5943.jpg  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ele11

Oooh yes! 🙂

we have house manual with all instructions but nobody reads it and then they complain in a review about something isn't working.

We have notes on critical places but then some guests complain that notes make them uncomfortable and they feel micromanaged by the host... or they don't see/read them even though they are in front of their eyes.

We have things on logical places but some guests can't find/see them .... and then complain those things are missing

We have everything explained in our listing's description but people book without reading and rate us low on accuracy.

You can fight but you can't win...

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.  My main gripe is some guests choose until they leave the property to air their dirty laundry in the comments. I've emailed them and asked if all is ok and if there is anything I can do to make their stay more accomodating.. I get back all is fine thank you! Couple of days later I get a laundry list of complaints in the review section. Did not give me a chance to address their concern or anything. Oy vey.

unfortunately the natural case with negative feedback.  i work in an industry that has been preaching (coaching about this for 30 years) it never matters without conditioning and reinforcment, people just aren't going to deliver it, doesn't come natural and then complain behind your back.

its soooo annoying and frustrating!

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

We try to do a big improvement project at our place every year and put out a suggestion box asking for ideas. These are things like building a deck for birdwatching, outdoor shower, etc. The box has instructions. Most guests leave good ideas. A handful use it to complain, sometimes multiple times about things they never mention to us. We have queen sized beds and one guest left complaints that we need to "get queen sized beds because these are too small for me and I'm in great shape." Not sure what the great shape has to do with it, but the guest was a larger person. Our beds ARE queen sized. When guests do this I always leave private feedback addressing their concern. Thankfully this suggestion box seems to divert the nastiness from reviews most of the time and it also gives me an idea of where this guests head is at when I write mine.

@Laura2592 That's a great idea. We might give that a try ourselves. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi @Ele11

As @Steven65 & @Gordon0 said, definitely go with a folder with the relevant details for your guests (though good luck with the not burning the toast one - I always seem to burn mine no matter what toaster I use!)

My house manual runs to about 4 pages - first page has the house policies as a gentle reminder & the wifi password underneath it. The rest is instructions on how to use things, where to find extra towels/toiletries, the location of fire blankets/extinguishers and exits & the local hospital details.

I've added to it over the years , it now has instructions on how to lock the front door (not that difficult as it's a standard lock  but the number of guests that struggle with it surprises me). I also put in the folder info about public transport & any brochures from trips that my previous guests have been on and enjoyed.

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Ele11  I have been hosting for a couple of years , and I have tried all of the above and have come to the conclusion that it is best to.

1) Incude everything in your listing

2) Repeat it with a welcome message

3) And most important greet the guest when they arrive and repeat everything again.

Greeting the guests when they arrive has improved my reviews and most important it gives the guests        an opportunity to ask you additional questions.

Rubén
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ele11

If you figure that out you will have solved one of the great mysteries of the world, LOL!

Great suggestions from other hosts already and I will add that the more you make the experience personal, the better. It's easier for hosts who live on site, but even remote hosts can push the idea that the guest is renting from an actual person, and not just a company. That really helps with reviews.

-Make sure you respond as soon as they book/request. Follow up the morning of check-in to make sure everything is okay. Follow up the morning of check-out thanking them for their stay. The more they can associate a "person" with the rental, the better.

-Wifi is the most common question so in addition to listing it in my house manual, I have a little board in the room with the Wifi password front and center.

-It's easy to go overboard with "signs" and "notes" so I have a little framed sign in the bathroom that says if a guest needs anything at all during the stay, please message me.

-I answer common questions in my initial "check in instructions email" which, for me, includes door code, parking info, and a reminder that answers to most questions are located in the house manual in the room.

Happy Hosting!

Despite adhering to all the things other hosts have supplied in this thread, I have experienced some eye-rolling complaints or lowered reviews in my first year of hosting. I was meticulous in describing the property accurately, providing instructions on almost everything, communicating as clearly as I could yet people still didn't comprehend. Some examples (not exclusive to ABB):

- no wifi. This was one of my first bookings. As well as listing it with no wifi, I had explained in the property description (right near the top) that there was no wifi until July and had priced my rates down to accommodate this (that bit wasn't in the description). I suppose the guest had read so many property descriptions they couldn't differentiate and got confused with somewhere else they had been considering.

- Beds in twin too small (they are standard sized single beds). Bathroom cabinet too low so guest hit their head on it. Cabinet is standard sized at standard height for standard sized person to look in the mirror, but apparently guest common sense was my responsibility, yet no one else seems to have had a problem with it, not guests, not us, nor friends and family who have visited. They also had to text me to ask if the wifi code contained an O or a zero as they couldn't work it out themselves. And no stickers on the remote controls for the TV, etc., so they didn't know which worked which appliance. Point and click is not a viable option these days, it would seem.

- (best one) in the private feedback, guest rated me down a star on everything, but most notably for me were value, communication and accuracy. The guest didn't speak any English, wrote all their messages to me in their mother tongue which I had to run through a translator to understand and replied in their own language by doing same. How could they downgrade accuracy on a listing description written in English that they obviously couldn't understand in the first place? I sent them several messages during their stay and prior to it, without being too invasive, yet they rated my communication only 4 stars. I couldn't have telephoned them as they didn't speak English so, short of going on the actual holiday with them, not sure what else I could have done. (oh, I don't live by the property, so I make an extra effort to send messages so they know I am available to answer questions or if there are problems).

The value one got me probably the most. They booked for the first week of the summer school holidays (the most in-demand week of the year) when I offered a discount upon listing the property, which meant they paid just 60% - maybe slightly less - of the normal rate for high season, yet they only gave 4 stars on value!

As this is all private feedback, I was unable to respond if I had wanted to.

Anyway, I'm not moaning about it, just thought I'd share to highlight that you get people who are never happy no matter what you do or need so much hand holding it begs belief. I just laugh about it, the quirks of human nature, otherwise I'd go mad. Or maybe I need more time to become jaded! There's quite a few OCD cases out there, too, you know. You can't do anything about that. Just take it on the chin and listen to the things that sound valid. If the toaster isn’t working properly, replace it. If the wifi code isn’t in an obvious place, put it somewhere where it is.

Obviously, if they have a valid complaint or feedback which I think needs addressing or implementing then I take it seriously, but there's just no point getting your knickers in a twist about these things. Some people are never satisfied. As I'm not aiming for superhost as it seems such a flawed system, considering there are guests that think five stars means hotel five stars, no matter what the price. I'm not bothered that I'm currently on 4.6 stars. Potential guests will see the rates and reviews and decide on that.  When I think of my first and only ABB experience as a guest in Italy where, when anyone took a shower, the water streamed down the kitchen wall, I don't think I'm doing too badly.

I'm still new to this and still testing out what works and what doesn't. I still have a huge learning curve to experience but I have committed not to let it stress me out when it comes to things like this. It's just not worth it. Change what's within your power to do so if you feel it is valid and important but don't stress about what you can't -- finnicky people will always be about.

I have some friends who host on ABB and they once received a review where the guest complained it was really boring and nothing to do and gave a poor star rating (the flat is in a major city destination -- the equivalent of New York or London) and their response went something like this: 

'We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. and that you missed out on all the wonderful venues the city has to offer, such as the xxx museum just five minutes around the corner from the apartment and the xxx gallery just next door to that. We had hoped you would experience the wonderful xxx restaurant just two minutes away with the best seafood menu in town, or the concert hall a kilometre away in the city centre, or maybe even the vibrant nightlife in xxx quarter.  

If you ever decide to visit again maybe you could message us with what types of activities interest you and we could help you put an itinerary together. Such a shame we didn't get the opportunity to help you out this time around!

All the best...'

etc., etc.

Obviously, the guest didn't go out the flat or research anything prior to his trip. How can you rate a host on your incapacity to organise your own holiday, especially one that is located centrally in a major global destination? But people do. And I thought this was the best response - it highlighted their own stupidity, or laziness, or whatever, while sounding very polite and sincere (Don't forget, my version is paraphrasing, so it might sound a bit more patronising!)

What you don’t want to do is get all defensive in the public reviews. Not a good look.

Your place looks great and those low stars are not justified.  There is simply no way to win with some people.  I have thankfully never had a 3 star overall, but I have had a fair share of 4 stars from people who just thought that five stars was too good and four was good enough.  I have since added a page in my house manual about the importance of how the rating system works, and how less than five stars is actually a bad thing, but still have people who don't read it and leave 4 stars anyway.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Ele11, as others have stated, the first rule of hosting is REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. Guests do not read thoroughly and thus most of them must be told things numerous times and in numerous places, including on the listing profile, in a pre-approval message, a pre-arrival message, in the physical house manual and perhaps a few well-placed notes or signs within the listing. 

We do all of this as well, and so far it has worked out fine--but we are a new listing and our third guest checked out just yesterday. (No review as yet.) Even so, we did research this extensively before listing our place, and hosts with lots of experience said the same thing as you: that you have to drive all of these points home repeatedly.