If a guest's things are damaged...

Rebecca-And-Ralph0
Level 1
Lancaster, United Kingdom

If a guest's things are damaged...

Hello, been hosting about a year now, 81% 5 stars 🙂

Two related questions!

I was wondering, and I don't seem to be able to find out, what is the situation (liability etc) if a guest's possessions are damaged whilst staying with you. For example, your roof leaks on their laptop and it breaks. 

Also, what if they fall and hurt themseleves? Like they slip on your cellar steps and break their hip or something?

Anyone know? There's plenty about if the host's things are damaged, but nothing the other way round that I could find!

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Nuria-and-Jasmine0
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

One of the very few but by far cheapest insurance companies that cover short term rentals (not standard landlord insurance) is GIO. Give them a call and they can give you additional info. There are some extras ypu can add to the standard coverage. Hope this helps 

@Rebecca-And-Ralph0 are in the UK, so an Australian Insurer will not help.

All down to whether the guest could hold you negligent, your example with the roof, if you knew it was in really bad shape, and they could show that you did know and did nothing to mitigate the situation, a Court may hold you liable.

Likewise somebody slipping, just falling by itself would not be your responsibility.

David

We have a rental apartment as well as our AirBnb.  We carry $1 million in umbrella liability policy always....very cheap ($95 a year).  Worth it for peace of mind.

Scott-and-Sherryn0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Your taking money for accomodation, of course you are liable your a bussiness. We have 10mil public liability.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Admiral is the only insurance company I know about in the UK that covers people who host through BNB in terms of damage/content. I think BNB offers public liability.