Independent Review Board Needed!

Robert973
Level 10
Elgin, IL

Independent Review Board Needed!

Have you ever submitted a claim or appealed to AIRBNB about a matter and gotten the brunt of some lazy or completely uninformed Case Manager (CM)? Most of us, as Hosts, have experienced this, especially when the CMs choose to not follow the written rules, or worse yet, when they show that they clearly don't even know the rules. Add to that the clear conflict of interest that can prevent AIRBNB CMs from being fair. Think about it... the company gets a 13% commission from the Guest and only 3% from the Host. Which way do you think they're going to rule in most cases? Take one guess. I suggest that they need an INDEPENDENT REVIEW BOARD of non-employees to re-examine appeals when we feel AIRBNB CMs are being unfair. But to be honest, I doubt that they'll ever implement such an idea, because the CMs like the power of never being challenged or accountable to anyone. What do YOU think???...

21 Replies 21
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Robert973, I have sent this very same information numerous times through their Feedback option, almost verbatim. I agree with you 100%. As many hosts as possible should send in Feedback on this issue to bring it to the fore front. Answering here and making this noticed couldn't hurt either. My understanding is that the more thumbs up a post gets, the more likely it is to be noticed by the folks that make these decisions regarding Customer Service. 

Although, Ava, it wouldn't surprise me at all if AIRBNB is shadow-banning (hiding) a topic like this, for fear that it might actually gain some attention!

Ava, please give a "thumbs-up" on my original post to draw some attention to the topic. Thanks!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Robert973 ,

Thanks for sharing your idea with the Community Center. I'd like to clear up that our roles as community manager mean we will only remove content that does not adhere to the community guidelines which your topic does perfectly. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert973  They are , in fact, charging up to 20% or more booking fees on some listings. Yes, agreed that they need an independent arbitrator. At the very least, they need CS reps with extensive customer service experience, and some with some psychology or couselling degrees who actually understand how to effectively deal with disputes between human beings, not what appear to be 18 year olds who are in way over their heads.

Yes, Sarah, 18 year-olds who live in a far-away land and have no clue regarding other cultures or about life, in general. SMH

Sarah, please give a "thumbs-up" on my original post to draw some attention to the topic. Thanks!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Robert973 Agreed. I suggested long ago when I was the featured host of the month that a Grievance Procedure needs to be created to resolve disputes when the host (or guest) feels their issue has not been effectively or fairly resolved. Unlikely to happen, however.

Right, Rebecca! But they DO have a "procedure"... the CM decides and that's the end of the story.... no appeals allowed, even if they're completely off-base. They become gods and we are their slaves. As has been said: "Power corrupts"!! And why would anyone give up such power willingly??!!

Rebecca, please give a "thumbs-up" on my original post to draw some attention to the topic. Thanks!

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

Brilliant idea, but will go fast through the front door. Just as fast through the back door and into the trash. Welcome to Airbnb let assure your idea is in good hands. 

Yeah, it's very sad, Ricardo, that they company would rather bully their Hosts, rather than use a powerful tool to ensure justice and show their integrity.

Ricardo, please give a "thumbs-up" on my original post to draw some attention to the topic. Thanks!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I would be thrilled if airbnb would simply follow it's own policies on a consistent basis, consistency and following the existing TOS would probably fix at least a third of the problems that hosts and guests encounter if not more.  I also do agree that some kind of appeal process should be created, especially for hosts, who often get delisted or cases closed without reimbursement and no explanation from airbnb.