Instant Book & Smart Pricing

Lucie58
Level 2
Georgia, United States

Instant Book & Smart Pricing

I am Lucie, although I have hosted for several years, today was my first time posting. I am a retired USA soldier and Vietnam veteran. Originally from Puerto Rico. I have visited or resided in 54+ countries. I have worked as an extra in about 35 movies/TV shows.  LOVE hosting and AIRBNB, although I have concerns with Instant Booking (like to welcome every guest but want to host only when I am available to do so)  and Smart Pricing (do not think the algorithm captures special properties nor extras you offer).

[Title edited]

13 Replies 13
Richard152
Level 4
Bath, United Kingdom

Hey Lucie,

I think most hosts agree with you about Smart Pricing, but Instant Booking can be good, and if you get a key safe at the front of your property, with a combination, then your guests can access the key any time, and you don't need to do any physical hosting. I have never met any of my guests, and we still had a relationship by correspondence.

Now here's a good tip: You can register with Booking.com too, and sync your Airbnb calendar/diary with Booking.com and vice versa.

Booking.com charge 15% commission, but you can register 15% higher prices with their site, so that it cancels out, and gives you the opportunity to have those blank dates filled. Booking.com has a mandatory Instant Book, but any bookings will reflect on your Airbnb Calendar, so you don't have to worry.  However, you MUST remember that when you set your price for 14 people, or your maximum number, then if the guest's group is 13 (or 1 less than your maximum), the price goes down by a substantial discount, or 12 or 11 etc (One less each time). So you MUST cancel that descending discount, or you'll be caught out as I was, and though I had 3 extra bookings almost immediately, the first one managed to use that silly discount thing to get a cheap booking. Oh, and make sure that your cleaning fee is automatically added to the Booking.com fee. You should phone Booking.com to arrange this, as the method is not that clear.

I'm not an actor, Lucie, but I am a jazz singer (Richard Marly) and I've sung in many countries in Asia, including the best jazz club that I've been to in my life, which was the Saxophone Pub in Monument Square, Bangkok, Thailand. Two, different world-class jazz bands EVERY night, SEVEN nights a week. And ALL Thai musicians! Totally mindblowing! Musical masters of jazz! Who'd 've thought it? If you think that you need to be American, English or European to have jazz in your soul, think again!  I was also privileged to sing with The Big Band Theory, a big Filipino band, when I lived in Zhuhai, China. They were totally amazing, and their bandleader and multi-instrumentalist Floyd, was a miracle from Heaven! His flute and sax playing was out of this world!

My favourite song? Georgia On My Mind.

For those Americans amongst you all, here's a great patriotic songs that I wrote just for you guys: America!

I'm English, but the original music of the American National Anthem was written by an Englishman from Gloucestershire, England. Guess where I'm from, haha - Yes, the very same! 

By the way, I'm looking for an investor in my property. You'll need $500,000 and my property's worth around $1.5 million.

Now I've proved it can earn $10,000 each month on average, I'm cutting off the plot to make another plot, and creating another property on it to rent out on Airbnb too. So it's a pretty interesting investment. The reason it's so successful, is that it's in the Georgian City of Bath, which is tourist popular every day of the year, and my house is right next door to the University of Bath, in a secret countryside setting. Of course, it has a great host too, lol, and a hot tub and games barn, big garden and loads of free parking, and the interior is big and bright and of a good quality. No dark hallways or corners, and no clutter with all-white bedding, and Super King Size Beds. 4pm Checkin and 10am Checkout.

So I can operate my business with just 30 minutes online every day, to handle the bookings, leaving me free to travel around the world! It's a hands-off business!

All the best to everyone,

Richard

Fieldgate

I agree that using other platforms is a good idea.  It gives you access to a larger audience of potential customers.  I do not recommend booking.com however.  They are very restrictive and their service is focussed entirely on the traveller and not the host.  You have no power to alter or cancel bookings, you cannot place feedback on guests (but they can rate you) and the site provides no support for hosts.

I signed up with them earlier this year but quickly cancelled out due to issues dealing with them

good luck

Andy

@Andy25

I had trouble with fvbo . I had a guest who broke the lease by bringing in 18 people instead of 4!   Vrbo was not supportive. She complained that she needed a refund because I kicked her out.  I couldn't believe it that vrbo gave her a refund!!!! When she'd only paid for 4 people. I had my neighbor and e mails for proof and vrbo was going to nake me fight so I just cancelled all dealings with them.

Plus vrbo makes it difficult to tell what your revenue will ben you can set what looks like a large rental fee.  But after by  owner takes out all their fees and insurance there might not be much leftn you have to be careful. Airbnb charges way less.

Karen and Jeff

Georgia53
Level 2
Thessalia Sterea Ellada, Greece

Hello Lucie! I totally agree with your point of view. I also use to have instant booking activated but i deactivated it propably for good since it has cost me a lot. I cannot really forecast especially during winter what the consumption of electricity will be cause last winter for example was exeptionally cold. We did not have such a cold winter for 50 years in Greece! The same goes with smart pricing. Does not take into account various parameters & extras that each one of us may offer i beleive.

@Georgia53, I don't understand the point you guys make about instant booking or smart pricing, what is bad about them, I use instant booking, so far good luck, and smart pricing, but we tried to changed for the winter season (Sun Valley Idaho) but we noticed that it tends to go back to smart pricing. People got some good deals, just curious to get your points more clear...

maria 

Rob184
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

I am outraged that AirBnB has blocked pictures of inquiring guests for hosts to view prior to booking.  Inquiring guests are able to view our picture and the interiors of our venues.  We have never and never will view an inquiring guests pictures with racism, gender or any form of prejudice in any way....the pictures present familiarity!  AirBnB inquiring guests are still able to see our pics!  What are they thinking?  I want the ability to view an inquiring guests picture!  Your thoughts?

Since when??? I had no idea. We have it set on automatic booking, so we don't get a lot of inquiries. I will check with the one family who did just inquired for the upcoming days... interesting, i do get a little worried when i don't see a picture or review  

Andy25
Level 3
Picton, New Zealand

The site seems to be gearing more and more toward the guest and getting harder for hosts.  We are struggling with some of this also.  We have taken our listings off instant book and we ignore the pricing suggestions which are simply designed to make you reduce your prices.

Good luck

Andy

Andrea1116
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

There is a $2-4 'service fee' being deducted - I am assuming this is not 'tax'?

I am a BRAND new host. I am already (gratefully) getting bookings. I am in Los Angeles County.

From what I read, it looked as though taxes would be automatically deducted. But that service fee 

feels too small to include taxes.......??

I SO appreciate the help.

Thank you!!

That is what Arbnb makes for your booking....

@Andrea1116

Have you seen the breakdown "This is what the guest pays?"   

Taxes in Arizona are a karge part of the bill... more than 16 percent in some counties. I would expect taxes to be higher in cali. 

In some states airbnb takes out taxes..in others not.

Karen and Jeff

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone!

It's great to see you all discussing a specific topic. 

I just want to let you know that I've moved your posts to a new thread so that you can discuss further here rather than on the 'Introduce yourself' thread.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy0where are they now?