Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Is there a need for a checkout guide?

Check out image.jpg

Hello everyone,

Over the years I have stayed in quite a few Airbnb as guest and along the way I have noticed that different hosts have varying styles of how they would like their guests to checkout. There are some important pieces of information which are needed, such as where they should  leave the key once they leave.

I wonder do you have a specific process that helps you make it as simple and friendly as possible for you and your guests?

Do you like to personally say goodbye to your guests to ensure that everything has been the way that they like it? Do you provide useful information on what to do with the key or what to do with the linen perhaps?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer
T28
Level 2
Savage, MD

Hands down, a checklist is worth having.  It sets expectations and helps me lean toward giving the guest a favorable review.  I've tweaked mine over the years and I have come up with a pretty simple process.  Of course I still get the occasional guest that feels like they paid a cleaning fee and just won't do anything.

I have 2 units and my lists are posted on the fridges.  The last line on the checklist asks the guest to leave a review of their stay on the Airbnb site.

Check-out ChecklistCheck-out Checklist

View Best Answer in original post

83 Replies 83
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie I ask them to lock the door behind them, and that's it: it doesn't get much simpler than that (although some guests still leave it unlocked, amazingly). I prefer that they don't do anything else. People usually do wash their own dishes before they go without being asked, and we usually have to re-wash them. Our door has a smart lock with personalized key code, so there is no need for them to return a physical key. As soon as they check out, we remove their key code from the door. We inspect later the same day to make sure everything is in order.

Are you happy with your smart lock?  What brand is it, and do you recommend it?

Thanks.

We are using Parakeet in 30 units, and it´s amazing. We installed as well their thermostats and we can control both  from our self phones. 

Our platform generates an e-code for each booking. Also each housekeeper has its own e-code. If someone from our organization (housekeeper or site manager) enter into one of the properties after hours (you choose the operational hours) Parakeet sends you a message alerting of it. That means that you have full control of who is entering and what time.

Also, if a guest (or someone else) is trying to enter using the wrong code, Parakeet sends you an alarm informing. That way, you can contact your host immediately, ask him/her if he´s having some issues and provide him/her the right code..... or open the door for him/her from your phone.

We are very happy with Parakeet!

Ahh! And I forgot to say that their system has as well noise control, that means, that if your guests are celebrating a party (I´m in Miami and this is Partyland.....) you can immediately call them and advice that will send the security... or at least scare them a little bit!

Hope this helps! 

Natalie - I was just checking out Parakeet and they said they don't integrate with Airbnb. Was my rep wrong or do you have some special setup to manage those 30 units? Or are they not Airbnb units?

Thanks for sharing. I'm using a dumb (no smartphone) electronic lock. It works great 95% of the time. For the other 5% of the time, I have a lockbox attached to the wall and I provide the code so they can get a key. Mostly I give it out for late night arrivals. Or if someone mentions they had an issue. Most issues are people not using the lock correctly. I'm  using a Kwikset 915 (about $100)

I live in Iowa, and have a vacation rental in Florida.  We have an August Smartlock which works well for us.  I invite my guests via the app, August sends them a text.  They download the app, set up an account and I tell the app the days and hours they are to have access.  (I extend beyond the checkout time, to allow for slow movers).  If they have a problem with the locks or forget to lock the door, I can do it from my phone wherever I am.  I had one group that preferred a physical key (intimidated by the technology) so I have a key on a large key ring inside the house that they replaced when they left.  I let them in upon their arrival.  There is no monthly fee associated with the locks and I simply need a WiFi connection, and they need a smart phone.  I also recommend to them to add at least one other person in their group, so they have a backup.

Emily

Hi, we have lots of locks but Gate video lock is by far my favorite.  Helps keeps guests honest about dogs and extra people, parties etc.  And we charge for late checkout.  In 6 months it has paid for itself.

How much do you charge for late checkout? When is your normal checkout? 

Cool...

I usually email a day ahead of time to check on their travels and the day of arrival, I send detailed directions. Some guests have been misdirected by WAYZ, and Google maps, so I always stay in contact, because its South Florida.

We just keep a single key placed in the cottage mailbox for them and they return when they leave (high security-lol).  With different flight schedules and travel plans, it's not always possible to say goodbye but I always wish them well via email. Communication is  so important. I have a binder in the cottage with as much info as I think they need.

l also have a smart lock (Schlage) which auto locks after 4 minutes, so I don't even ask them to lock the door on the way out. Since it's a room in my own home, I usually see the guests and I tell them they don't need to do anything, just have a comfortable stay and safe travels.

I agree about the dishes. I always rewash them too!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Lizzie  We send them a message the day before their check out with instructions, which are quite simple, wash dishes, hang up used towels, tell them where to leave the keys, don't strip the beds, and we will dispose of any perishable food.  

@Mark116 wrote:

@Lizzie  We send them a message the day before their check out with instructions, which are quite simple, wash dishes, hang up used towels, tell them where to leave the keys, don't strip the beds, and we will dispose of any perishable food.  

Why shouldn't they strip the beds? Is that somehow easier for you?

I want the sheets left on. Then I can see any spots and immediately spot treat with a bleach pen, before I put in the wash. This prevents missing a spot that then becomes permanent in the dryer. 

Also, I always use 2 Tbs of bleach when washing my sheets and towels.  It eliminates all odors and germs. Even if a guest had MRSA or anything else contagious, it is eradicated. I also use natural unscented laundry soap as what smells good is subjective, and I don’t want to offend or even harm guests with perfumes.