Ladies - is this a taboo issue?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Ladies - is this a taboo issue?

I have a question for fellow hosts that pertains to a particular ladies issue.

Now, as a bloke asking this, it’s pretty safe to assume whatever and however I ask this will offend someone, so let’s just get this part out of the way: I’m an ill educated English **bleep** who doesn’t know the first thing about how difficult “that time of the month” can be, other than what my wife tells me...

So, to my question...

What is the protocol around asking a guest to... put right a bed stain situation she created, due to (I assume) either beng caught by surprise or not being prepared? I’m talking total and complete destruction, to the point where it looks like someone was murdered on the bed.

Wife is trying to deal with it, but I can’t help think we are about to lose expensive bedding... possibly even the bed itself. It’s even on the duvet... 4 layers soaked through, past the protector.

If we have to, is it “out of bounds” to seek compensation from the guest, do you think?

I suppose my gut is saying to go through our own home insurance if we lose the bed... I just can’t see myself raising an issue like this with a guest.  She obviously knows she did it, and left without saying anything, so ... bleh. Feels a bit rude on her part, but maybe she was embarrassed.

48 Replies 48
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Ben551 That level of destruction is beyond reason for any woman over the age of 20 I would say. That amount of a stain means she didn't even try!  Did she at least tell you about it and apologize? Regarding compensation, I don't think you are being unreasonable. I don't know if you can ask for replacement value on everything but she should be paying at least half. As a woman who raised two women I would be equally upset! Good luck!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ben551

There a special circle in hell for anybody raising this subject...

Mean while back at Airbnb HQ there counting the cash and leaveing you with tihS, thats any profit you'll make on Airbnb, wiped out for at least six months.

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Ben551

Oh, Ben...

Annoying as this is l personally would just let this go.

What can you really do?

It's somehow part of the  hospitality business...

Do you think this may be the one of the reason Hotel charge so much, having to cover expenses like these, and like any business expecting to make a profit?

While Airbnb expect the host to cover these expenses out of their own profits. How much does a new matress cost in $1000?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Kinda feeling that way myself about this, yeah.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why should it be a taboo subject @Ben551 it's a normal bodily function.

Firstly @Ben551 as hosts we should have matress protectors to help protect our beds from the sort of stains guests can leave. This would minimise the chances of your bed becoming stained.

I  leave a range of sanitary protection for women who can get caught short when travelling and don't allow food or drink in bedrooms to help minimise stains.

I also ask my guests to let me know straight away if there are any accidental stains on bedding etc to help maximise the chance of getting any stains out.

Secondly it's normally fairly easy to get blood stains out of bedding (not sure why it's being left to your wife to deal with 🙂 

I would mention in the review that your bedding was left heavily stained and you would have appreciated the guest letting you know so you maximise your chances of being able to get the stains out.

Hydrogen peroxide is the best way to remove blood or any bilogical stain.  

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi Helen! Not sure why I can’t tag you, sorry about that.

I completely agree, that’s why mattress protectors are important on beds. We use two of them on each bed, and under one and a fitted over one, plus the fitted sheet, flat sheet, and duvet cover.

The issue we have is that the person slept on top of the bed itself and has gone through the duvet cover, the duvet, the top sheet, bottom sheet, 2 protectors, and into the mattress.

My wife approached the bed mumbling and cursing something about murder... I then got yelled at to get out. She is amazing with stains but is a little OCD about the correct process and... rather doesn’t want me in her way right now. I adore her when she’s in battle mode, but I know better than to get in the cross fire.

Another woman (and superhost) chiming in to agree.  Hey, nice bed linens are expensive, and mattresses ....don't get me started.

pb1.jpgSo, absolutely.  I'm sorry if she was embarrassed.  She should have put her Big Girl pants on (no puns intended) and asked you how she could compensate you for the added inconvenience -- because blood stains are murder (again no pun intended) to get out, if, in fact you can get them out.  It would have been common decency on her part.  I would not let this expense go.

(I put it up the second photo because I didn't the app was displaying my "official" Airbnb photo, now I can't make this extra headshot go away)

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ben551

Woman here chiming in! 🙂

If it were just a stain on the sheets and even if you had to throw away the sheets, I would let it go. It happens and there's nothing we can do about it.

However, bloodying up the entire bedding and ruining the duvet, mattress cover, and possibly staining the mattress is unacceptable. Yes, perhaps still out of her control, but still "her fault" and you should be compensated.

Random, and possibly weird, analogy, but if a person has a medical emergency while driving and causes an accident, that person is still at fault and responsible for damages, even though it wasn't intentional and they couldn't have really prevented it. It still doesn't absolve them of responsibility.

Addressing the issue needs to be done with care, because more than likely she didn't say anything out of embarrassment. But if the mattress is ruined, I would definitely seek compensation.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks very much Suzanne, that’s a very clear example (sorry can’t link for some reason).

Yes, it’s the level of issue we are dealing with that is the question. Stuff happens, of course, and it’s going to happen a little now and then. No problem. But, we are looking at layers and layers... 

I agree with Suzanne, the issue is pretty extreme and there is considerable damage. 1 of our guests parked their car on top of the septic lid at our house and broke the lid. Because of the damage, I thought it perfectly reasonable to split costs which is what happened in the end. It kind of sounds like you are going to be out of pocket quite a lot unless your wife does a uber fantastic job.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben551

Ben, I think you are off the mark here mate! There are certain bodily functions I don't have control over on a daily basis,  just as there is or you. It is doubly hard for a woman because women have to carry the can for life itself. Please understand this and appreciate that at times this is going to happen, and it is not the 'guests' fault....it is just a part of life!

You mate have 'Sards Wonder soap' ....just put it to work and consider the feelings of the woman that this happened to....she is feeling bad enough, don't rub salt into the wound. 

Mate this is a taboo issue , deal with it and get on with the business of being a good host! Ladies issues, Mens issues, we deal with them because that is what hosting is all about!

Cheers.......Rob

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hey thanks Rob (sorry can’t link for some reason) - yeah that’s kinda what my gut is telling me. The fact that this lovely lady (she was lovely) didn’t say anything means she’s probably embarrassed. I feel like approaching her would be... out of order.

Hey, since I know you also have super expensive beds, what would you do if you lost yours to an issue like this? Go through your home insurance or your “Robin self insurance” fund? Our mattress is only 1 month old and cost $1,800, and our excess is only $500 so I figured... best to try that route first.