Last minute alteration request = stress balls

Asia-Maris0
Level 1
Baguio, Philippines

Last minute alteration request = stress balls

Yesterday, I received an alteration request for a booking for today because the guest is not feeling well to travel. I did not accept this alteration, not because I am an evil host but because I feel that it should fall under strict cancellation policy too. 

First of all, how do you recover or even find another person to book the place at such short notice?

Secondly, why does she insist on altering the reservation when she can cancel and get her money back if she is truly ill? 

This guest doesn't understand that we cannot make up for lost income. Also, alterations are almost as good as cancellation but why does airbnb not take it as seriously as cancellations. What if a guest alters, and then cancels a month before and get their money back because your cancellation policy allows it? And what if that was their plan all along?

Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Asia-Maris0  If the guest goes to Air BNB to cancel under the extenuating circumstances policy, your booking would be cancelled.  Of course the guest has to prove the extenuating circumstance.  Otherwise the cancellation is handle per your cancellation policy.  In any case, the guest should go to Air BNB.  You are not an "evil host" if you refer the guest to handle through Air BNB as that is what they pay the Air BNB fees for.  I don't think it is the guest's responsibilty to understand our lost income, that is the host concern.  All you can do is be the good host you are, following the terms and agreements of Air BNB, and realize that bookings are not 100%.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If they cancel that is something they can do and needs no input from you, and alteration you agree to or not.

If somebody wants to cancel then just tell them that is what they need to do.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

People absolutely already use this scam to get out of Strict bookings - they request alter their reservation to a later date, then cancel outside of the Strict window to get the majority of their money back.  This is a kind of loophole in the Airbnb system that some guests have already figured out.

I think you're right in not accepting the alteration.  I would just explain to the guest, "While I'm sorry you are not feeling well enough to travel, I cannot grant the change request with such short notice, as I would not be able to book another reservation in that time."  End of story.

Ronald185
Level 1
Richardson, TX

As an Airbnb Superhost for two to three years in a row now, this is somthing that Airbnb NEEDS to fix. I have had one guest request an alteration to push the check in date just enough days to then be able to use the cancellation "window" and get a 100% refund, despite my cancellation policy.

Kyle294
Level 2
Sioux City, IA

I am experiencing this issue right now actually! This is the 4th alteration request for this reservation and I accepted the first 3 with no questions asked but it’s pretty unfair that we are stuck trying to supplement that income. I feel bad but I’m going to deny the 4th request. Thoughts on this?

@Kyle294  I wouldn't feel bad about this at all. I think most hosts would have declined the second alteration, let alone approve 3. The guests may be scamming, or at best, they are just abusing your goodwill in lieu of having their s**t together.