Makeup on pillowcases

Janice146
Level 3
Winnipeg, Canada

Makeup on pillowcases

I am not a big makeup wearer. So I admit I have a hard time understanding this one and I get really frustrated. Mascara and foundation etc all over pillow cases. Especially that mascara!  So hard to get out. I’ve hosted 272 guests at this point and I have to admit it’s not an everyday problem, but it is frustrating. 

I use white sheets so I can freely bleach as I need to and so far it has worked out well, but that mascara. I tell ya. 

What are your thoughts fellow hardworking hosts?

tips?  Tricks?  Vents?

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Janice146Yes very annoying! I've also had some guests who wipe their face on the bathmat... why?? I find foundation to be pernicious also. 

My suggestion would be to provide makeup wipes or black facecloths in the bathroom and mark them as being for makeup removal. It may encourage people to wipe their faces off before going to bed. 

I’m not sure why I haven’t thought of makeup wipes in the bathroom.  Great idea. Maybe in a jar with a cute note about the bedding or something. I’m not too sure it will help, but hopefully. The mascara is brutal and the oils from the foundation. I have a pillow case scrub station in my kitchen. Haha. Ridiculous. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Janice146  I'm not a make-up wearer either, and fortunately, neither have any of my female guests been. 

In addition to the providing of make-up wipes, perhaps a nicely framed note in a not-to-be-missed place in the bathroom to the the effect-"Dear guests- please use the make-up wipes provided before turning in for the night. Mascara and other make-up products can be almost impossible to remove from bed linens and I'd prefer not to have to request payment for stained bedding. Thanks so much for your cooperation."

You might also consider using patterned pillow cases which would hide any make-up stains. 

Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

@Janice146  I suggest the black wash clothes that are embroidered saying 'Make up".   I found mine at Marshall's and Home Goods but you can order them on Amazon.   The wipes they end up burning through and I'm constantly replenishing and they get pricey.  (My house sleeps 11 so I have lots of girl's weekends). I also get people who flush them!  I also have a little sign posted next to the wash clothes to please use these instead of the white wash clothes to remove make up.

That’s a great idea. I’m going to look them up now. Thanks!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I provided eco-friendly, organic makeup wipes. As for the mascara stains, I spray all stains with 'Shout' before I wash and bleach my whites and it has always worked to get out any kind of makeup, as well as hair color products. 

Janice146
Level 3
Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks Rebecca!