Market trends and smart tips

Angela304
Level 2
Portreath, United Kingdom

Market trends and smart tips

The market trends in the Calander page seems to be quite new,   our area is showing massive drops in searches on this compared to last year (-50% to - 80%) is this the same for everyone,  this would seem odd and surely suggest that Airbnb were in some sort of trouble!  I've noticed alongside this that our smart price tips that used to be massively undervalue are now above what we would charge a night.  Is anyone else seeing this?  We have been 'selected' for Airbnb Plus but reading up on it this seems a bad idea but could they be pushing views that way which is why searches are down so massively?

19 Replies 19

I would list your property on VRBO, Booking.com etc and rely less on Airbnb. The demographic of Airbnb tends to be lower price, shorter stay.

Angela304
Level 2
Portreath, United Kingdom

For our area Aibnb has been good for long stays as we are quite remote from the rest of the UK so if you come down here you tend to stay for a week or two.  We actually found for our area that similar properties were listing for less on booking.com,  home and away etc

We'll see how it goes this year but I think if we moved away from Airbnb we would actually just list it with an agency down here who seem to get good prices/bookings and would have the advantage of us not having to deal with guests and the nervous waiting for reviews!

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Angela304 

I saw this new feature a bit ago, and was quite alarmed with the drop in "guest searches". The rise of available listings seems normal and expected. But, as is typical with Airbnb, there is no explanation where the data is coming from or what it represents. I don't even know what area it covers (just my city? Greater Los Angeles area? All of the US? All of the world?). 

For the month of January, my stats show that there was a -35% drop in guest searches, but gives no details. "-35%" from January 2018? or December 2018?

Is the rise of available listings the addition of new listings, or old listings suddenly available? 

I would definitely use this information, if the data set was better explained. 

@Mikki0I just noticed that the fine print shows searches compared to yearly average. 

That is nonsense and useless. Unless you live in some market where demand is completely standardized throughout the year then this data point is of no value at all.

Sulani0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I would also live historical data. We have however had a bumper year where we are, just outside of Cape Town. Even after slightly increasing our prices.