Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

After reading so many horror stories on this forum about guests with unreasonable expectations, and their ability to tank your ratings, I finally had a guest who was completely unreasonable, and left me a one star review.

Our listing is titled "Rustic Country Cottage" and we are the least expensive whole-house listing in the area. I try very hard in the description to be as honest as possible so that people know what to expect. Also, before confirming a reservation I always send a message saying that I want to check with them, as I do all potential guests, that they read the description carefully and looked at the pictures. I also reiterate that it's a funky little placeand definitely a fixer-upper. The guest who ended up leaving me the terrible review requested to book, and said she was coming for one night with her daughter and her sister, and went through the usual confirmation process. She assured me that they loved quirky places (although I never use that word in any of my communications or descriptions) and were fine with the rustic nature of the place. We exchanged several other messages about travel times and recommendations for dinner. and I went out of my way to be as helpful and informative as possible. On the day of their stay they arrived and checked in, no problem. They dropped off their stuff and left to go to dinner. A bit after they came back, she sent me a message asking for bug spray because there was a spider in her daughter's room. I responded that I'd be right down with it, but she immediately messaged me that they couldn't stay there, they had expected quirky (there's that word again) but not an "infestation" of spiders. She said they had made other arrangements and were leaving, and demanded a full refund. I immediately refunded the payout that I had received (it wasn't worth arguing, my profit margin is so small and I could tell it would be a major drama to battle with her) along with a polite a respectful message saying that I had cleaned and made all the beds a few hours earlier and I had not seen any spiders, that we did do regular pest control, but I was giving her a full refund of the payout I would have received. After I gave her the refund, she continued to send me a string of nasty messages. She said she hadn't studied arachnology so she couldn't say if the spider was poisionous, but there was not way she could put her daughter in an unsafe environment. She sent another message about how much I had inconvenienced her, how she had to book a more expensive place last minute, and I should have told her that there would be more bugs around this time of year so she could have booked somewhere else (we are the least expensive listing around so it wouldn't have mattered when she booked as far as price was concerned, and I seriously doubt that the new place they went mentioned to them that it was spider season). She sent another message telling me that she had spoken to Airbnb and they had refunded their portion of the taxes and fees. Then of course she left me a one star review where she slammed our place, not only mentioning the spider (there was one, single spider. She sent me a picture) and also complaining about several other features of our cottage that are clearly mentioned in the listing description. I sent Airbnb a Twitter DM telling them that she hadn't actually stayed in the cabin, so I didn't think she was able to leave a reveiw, as per Airbnb terms. I got a response that because she had checked in she was able to leave a review, but that someone would be contacting me from Airbnb. I got a call and the case manager said that the review was going to be removed, but the reason for the review deletion was because she mentioned details of the "investigation" (that Airbnb had given her a refund of the fees, etc), and not because she hadn't actually stayed there, or anything to do with the circumstances.

So two things that I wanted to vent about. The first is the fact that I have been a Superhost for who knows how long, have at least three years' worth of excellent reviews and none which mentions bugs, and that she had been in the cottage for less than an hour and hadn't actually stayed, had nothing to do with the deleted review. It is so disheartening how one unreasonable guest can tank your rating percentage and we have absolutely no recourse other than to respond to a horrible review. Also, I'm not sure what the "investigation" is that the case manager mentioned, but I'm wondering if I now have some sort of a red flag on my account or something?

The second thing is that this woman booked the least expensive place she can find, the title of which is, "Rustic Country Cottage", and then freaked out and demanded a refund, reported me to Airbnb, and continued to send me nasty messages even after I gave her a refund immediately upon request, all because she found a single spider in one of the rooms. Sheesh!

Okay, thanks for listening. I hope none of you have to deal with something like this.

44 Replies 44

@Kath9, as much as I LOVE you Aussies, y'all are NUTS? 

Truly, with love and much respect,

Kim

@Kath9 @Cathie (can't seem to tag), HOW do you clear a waterhole???

Wow, and I thought I had it rough with eagles, poisonous snakes, wolves, coyotes, scorpions...(the list does go on...)

How do you do it?

=-(((

Kim
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Kath9, just adding that very last line in my post, it got un-censored.  (?!)

Be careful... of where you step... and what you say...

Best

Kim
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Leslie7 

What a miserable woman! Ugh! Sometimes you just have to feel sorry for people. I feel sorry for her daughter! Can you imagine being raised by a woman like that??

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This woman has now ensured that her daughter will have as much of a spider phobia as she does. Well done, mom.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Leslie7  I'm so sorry to hear you had to put up with this.  In my opinion you went above and beyond what most hosts would do, considering her overeaction.  I think it's good to vent on here though - better out than in and (as you can see) lots of people can relate to your story!  I myself have an issue with spiders, living in a bush setting, and there are limitations on what I can do.  I make it clear in my listing that I can no more promise it will be spider free, anymore than I can ensure New Zealand is spider free... but people will still complain. 

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that Airbnb policy appears to allow guests to voice expectations in reviews that DO NOT MATCH a persons listing.  For example, according to Airbnb policy, a guest can complain that I don't have a Helicopter Landing Pad.  I'm using a wild example here, but stay with me.... I make no mention of there being such a thing, nor is it reasonable to expect me to provide one, however according to Airbnb a guest is allowed to have " any expectation" they like based on "their opinion".  Whether it's a coffee machine, a waterbed, or a helicopter landing pad.... a guest is allowed to form any expectation they like, whether it aligns to your listing or not.

In my opinion this needs to change.  A guest shouldn't be able to leave a negative review that criticises a host for something that is not offered.  In your case, if you said in your listing that you "cannot guarantee your Rustic Country Cottage will be free of insects because of the proximity to nature, in all it's beauty...." or something... then, in my opinion, a guest shouldn't be able to leave a review that is at opposite with the service you say you provide.

I am glad you were able to have the poor review removed from your listing though, that's more than some people get to do...

@Ben0

I totally agree, the guests should not be able to criticize on somethings thats the Hosts have clearly mentioned in the house rules and the listing description.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You got a lemon. Now make lemonade.

Raise your rates! 

Be rewarded for dealing with bad guests like this. 

Over time, I am grateful for those "stinkers". They frustrate me so much that I raise my rates and improve my business model.

Very interesting point. I may just have to do that. I think it really is true that the lower rates tend to attract guests who are looking for too much for their money.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

No pests here!No pests here!ECA3B1E7-EEDC-4881-82D5-5D01651A5AF0.jpegWell @Leslie7, we unfortunately have to live and breathe amongst the clueless. Phobias are very different from going overboard about a spider, who was probably more scared of the mother than the daughter was of the spider!  We annually pest control, but that doesn’t stop tropical loving pests hanging around in the distance, or braving the tiles and entering.....

@Kath9, I’ve never found a croc inside, so am feeling fairly safe! No Roos (kangaroos to you no Aussies) down the street, but other local fauna turn up and depart when it suits...

Although everyone must obey swimming signage everywhere, I think in a clear blue backyard pool, the use of this sign is tongue in cheek or warped Aussie humour. I use to have this sign on my swimming pool gate, but you know, there is always someone who would take it seriously, so we just breathe, see the funny side and move on....

@Cathie19, sure, about the "pest control," but you have to talk about potential encounters, right? 

Real question:  How do you do this?  The small spiders (some of them deadly poisonous), the scorpions, poisonous snakes... the list really does go on, regardless of how you clean your house or make your beds.

Dang!  I'm in San Diego and I feel like I'm writing from the Congo!

*)

Kim

So, do we talk about the critter that scared us the most or the encounter that was actually most dangerous? I am scared of spiders, been working on desensitizing for years (thank you, pretty Orb spiders who tend to stay on their webs & out of the house) I've only ever ran across a venomous one twice and we both vacated the shed corner quick!

I do have a scary bear/stupid human story: I was camping with my 2 little daughters at a lake in the Tahoe area. It was a site with bathrooms, showers etc but no food storage  lockers as "Bears aren't a problem here".  So a camper decided to store a cooler full of raw chicken in the back of their pick up truck. A mama bear with 2 cubs came into camp to investigate this tantalizing situation and was interrupted as she gave her kids a picnic supper.

Screams, flashlights waving, airhorns and total pandemonium as campers tried to drive her away and she tried to keep her cubs with her and get the heck away. I was crouched at the entrance to our tent armed with everything throwable and a cast iron skillet for last ditch defense. Several tents got knocked down and trampled before the poor mama bear and her babies escaped.

The friends I was sharing the campsite with decided to douse the site with pinesol

( the stink was meant to discourage bears ) and keep all their food in their car. I decided to take my kids to a different campground, I was pretty fed up with these friends by then anyway- they wanted to keep the campfire smouldering whenever we all left the campsite as lighting the fire was really hard, rather than putting the fire out. Idiotic humans are probably the most dangerous critters but the salties seem pretty scary to me! Rattlesnakes aren't actually looking to eat us, after all. Sally

@Sally221, I'm glad you all survived, and no, practically no one wants to eat us because we're too big and there is the clothing-issue----they're just freaked-out. 

So the thing I was trying to address was about this stupid TINY spider, and how does a host deal with it?  (Or explain it beforehand?)  Seemed like she had some truly teeny spider--not like what we're exploring now.

THEN, there are those of us who have REAL spiders, scorpions,  poisonous snakes,  crocks, lions and tigers and bears...oh, my.  Serious stuff. 

You can't just spritz some wonder smell and make... I don't need to go on.  

This is a real question.

Best,

Kim

But seriously, I agree raising your prices a bit might help winnow out the entitled cheapskate types. They mightn't be scary but they are demoralizing, Sally

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Cathie19, you've nailed it on the GO FIGURE category.  I think I'm figuring out how to tip-toe around the system... (They hate snoozers, but roofers, etc.,??? gotta give.)  Thank you.

*)

Kim