Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

After reading so many horror stories on this forum about guests with unreasonable expectations, and their ability to tank your ratings, I finally had a guest who was completely unreasonable, and left me a one star review.

Our listing is titled "Rustic Country Cottage" and we are the least expensive whole-house listing in the area. I try very hard in the description to be as honest as possible so that people know what to expect. Also, before confirming a reservation I always send a message saying that I want to check with them, as I do all potential guests, that they read the description carefully and looked at the pictures. I also reiterate that it's a funky little placeand definitely a fixer-upper. The guest who ended up leaving me the terrible review requested to book, and said she was coming for one night with her daughter and her sister, and went through the usual confirmation process. She assured me that they loved quirky places (although I never use that word in any of my communications or descriptions) and were fine with the rustic nature of the place. We exchanged several other messages about travel times and recommendations for dinner. and I went out of my way to be as helpful and informative as possible. On the day of their stay they arrived and checked in, no problem. They dropped off their stuff and left to go to dinner. A bit after they came back, she sent me a message asking for bug spray because there was a spider in her daughter's room. I responded that I'd be right down with it, but she immediately messaged me that they couldn't stay there, they had expected quirky (there's that word again) but not an "infestation" of spiders. She said they had made other arrangements and were leaving, and demanded a full refund. I immediately refunded the payout that I had received (it wasn't worth arguing, my profit margin is so small and I could tell it would be a major drama to battle with her) along with a polite a respectful message saying that I had cleaned and made all the beds a few hours earlier and I had not seen any spiders, that we did do regular pest control, but I was giving her a full refund of the payout I would have received. After I gave her the refund, she continued to send me a string of nasty messages. She said she hadn't studied arachnology so she couldn't say if the spider was poisionous, but there was not way she could put her daughter in an unsafe environment. She sent another message about how much I had inconvenienced her, how she had to book a more expensive place last minute, and I should have told her that there would be more bugs around this time of year so she could have booked somewhere else (we are the least expensive listing around so it wouldn't have mattered when she booked as far as price was concerned, and I seriously doubt that the new place they went mentioned to them that it was spider season). She sent another message telling me that she had spoken to Airbnb and they had refunded their portion of the taxes and fees. Then of course she left me a one star review where she slammed our place, not only mentioning the spider (there was one, single spider. She sent me a picture) and also complaining about several other features of our cottage that are clearly mentioned in the listing description. I sent Airbnb a Twitter DM telling them that she hadn't actually stayed in the cabin, so I didn't think she was able to leave a reveiw, as per Airbnb terms. I got a response that because she had checked in she was able to leave a review, but that someone would be contacting me from Airbnb. I got a call and the case manager said that the review was going to be removed, but the reason for the review deletion was because she mentioned details of the "investigation" (that Airbnb had given her a refund of the fees, etc), and not because she hadn't actually stayed there, or anything to do with the circumstances.

So two things that I wanted to vent about. The first is the fact that I have been a Superhost for who knows how long, have at least three years' worth of excellent reviews and none which mentions bugs, and that she had been in the cottage for less than an hour and hadn't actually stayed, had nothing to do with the deleted review. It is so disheartening how one unreasonable guest can tank your rating percentage and we have absolutely no recourse other than to respond to a horrible review. Also, I'm not sure what the "investigation" is that the case manager mentioned, but I'm wondering if I now have some sort of a red flag on my account or something?

The second thing is that this woman booked the least expensive place she can find, the title of which is, "Rustic Country Cottage", and then freaked out and demanded a refund, reported me to Airbnb, and continued to send me nasty messages even after I gave her a refund immediately upon request, all because she found a single spider in one of the rooms. Sheesh!

Okay, thanks for listening. I hope none of you have to deal with something like this.

44 Replies 44
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Leslie7, you just got a nasty apple. Super sorry about your nightmare spider-woman experience. Some luck is involved. I, like you, have read a lot of horror stories, and when I shared my fears with the group (I live adjacent to a wildlife preserve, and the critters don't always respect fences and property lines!) some wise person advised me to emphasize that "Wildlife encounters/sightings abound!" ...or something like that. Sometimes I'm tempted to rename the property, "Jurassic Park." I just killed a rattlesnake three days ago--in the freakin' front yard! Sheesh. Stuff happens! Some people don't quite get that the world isn't Disneyland! 

Hope your status isn't hit... and you will recover. 

Best,

Kim
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I'm so sorry Leslie,  that your reasonable & proactive response was in vain. I'm sadly not surprised that airbnb wanted to pull the review only because showed them coughing up a refund. I had a person do a last minute booking and then cancel (I'm sure because she'd just figured out we live on site) I authorized airbnb to give her a refund- glad to have dodged a suspected partier as she lives in our area. She could have given me a review even though she'd never even done so much as a driveby. Why? "Communication" If you have both the best prices and great reviews you should continue to do well in spite of the platform. The spirit of the original premise lives on in these forums but is long gone from corporate which is a lurching greedy & confused monster, alas, Sally

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Leslie7 

all of us will get a nightmare guest sooner or later.... we can just hope we will not get them to often 🙂 it is totally understandable you are upset but at least she didn't  make any damage to your property.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Leslie7  It's shocking that anyone would go ballistic over a single spider!  

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Leslie7, omg, what a nightmare. Some people are just unbelievable. Maybe you should try to empathise - imagine going through life as her!

Like you, I try to make it very clear on my profile what type of accommodation I offer (basically at backpacker rates) and ask them all to carefully read the listing before booking. But, there are always some who don't/can't read (more and more, I'm beginning to think it's the latter) and just go ahead and book with their hip pockets (but still expect the Ritz). I once had someone literally COWERING in the guest room because there was a daddy longlegs spider behind (yes, BEHIND) the bedside table. I had to go in and kill it for them (I really really really hate killing spiders because I actually like having them around - they are so benign and the most natural pest control there is). Anyway, thankfully her review has been removed - I hope you left her a doozy with fair warning to other hosts.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

LOL @Kath9  that's hilarious!  I think I would have struggled not to say something cheeky like... slapping my hands on my cheeks and shouting "oh my god, it's a completely harmless spider... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Imagine how I felt as an Aussie when one of my guests shrieked when an Irish version of a Daddy Long legs came into her bathroom! ( it was basically a mozzie). I can't kill anything (except cockroaches), so took it outside with a broom. She was fine about it, but I told her and her daughter to avoid Australia for sure!! I freaked them out by detailing the size a Huntsman spider can grow!

Hahaha, Rosemarie, yes, huntsmans are a different story. Personally, I like them too, but when I get one in the house, I do try to catch it and throw it in the garden because I can just imagine how freaked out my overseas guests would be seeing one of those!

For you non-Aussies out there - this is a huntsman - they are pretty friendly (although do have a nasty bite apparently) and they love to just hang out on ceilings for days, weeks or even months at a time. When I was a kid, we had a pet one called Fred.

huntsman.png

@Kath9, they look a LOT like the cane spiders in Hawaii...and yes, crawling on the CEILING. (Bigger than the size of my hand!)

How on earth do we book guests?

*)

Kim

Haha, I name every spider Fred, got a harmless small black one in the house as we speak!

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Kath0

That's hilarious, you had to go and save them from daddy longlegs!

LOL.

I had a lovely couple from Italy recently and they freaked out about spiders.

And was going about how many spiders it was here in Australia and how scary it was.

I was just smiling and tried not to mention to them that "daddy longlegs" are the good ones.

You should see the Redback Spiders in my shed, in the back of our backyard!

I just said to them "Welcome to Australia!, it's all good!, nothing to worry about".

And showed them the bug spray. So that calmed them down.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

OK, @Mark116 @Leslie7 @Kath9 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sally221 , what's the most terrifying Wild Animal event you've ever had?  (should probably make a new thread...)     I'm including spiders... have a pretty cool one of my own... @Leslie7 , do you want to start it?  This could be very funny, and make you relax a little more!

Best,

Kim

Oh, that's easy. Stepping out of my camper van one dark night in the far north of Western Australia and almost stepping on a 6m saltwater crocodile. Now those things are scary! I could understand a guest being upset if they found one of these things in their rooms. I also came face to face with a moose in Alaska one night as we both rounded a corner. Man, those things are big!

croc.png

@Kath9, not to be gender-preferential or anything (we are on AirBnB), but if you have a good-sized husband who is good with a rifle and keen on gutting/skinning/cooking (big job!!!)... moose is one of the most lovely meats in the world. Moose, elk, and antelope are my favs--and a super well-prepared pheasant.  Cooking has to be done just right.

I love the guys who can do this.  Not my style.  I can kill if I need to, just can't do the follow-up, and everyone on my little farm have NAMES. Pets.

I've had alligator before; not crocodile.  Not bad.  Doesn't taste like chicken (as they say).  Neither does snake. (I don't care how you cook that stuff, it's just nasty.)

Best,