New Rooms & Spaces Classification - How is it working for you?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

New Rooms & Spaces Classification - How is it working for you?

I logged in to my listing this morning, and I saw the new Rooms and Spaces options, so I thought I would go ahead and fill it out. No harm, right? Wrong!

I entered that there is one bedroom in my place, which is accurate: there is one bedroom with a bed and a pullout couch, and one futon in the office/front hall area. Because I only have one bedroom, it said I only have 2 beds: the futon in the front hall/office was removed, and there was no way to put it back in without changing my listing to 2 bedroom, which I don't feel is accurate. It was fine the way it was before, where I could state that there were 2 beds in a bedroom and another in a shared space. I'm concered that now, people are going to think that they're getting two seperate bedrooms.

Does Airbnb think about the ramifications of what they're doing before they do it, or do they just stumble around in the dark?

49 Replies 49

@Lawrene0 One other question: do you see any difference in guest view? I don't see where all of the information provided is used.

@Alexandra316 @Ann72 @Rachel177 @Susan17 @Lawrene0 

Bah ahembug, can't edit my post but in last paragraph it should read "Pet Friendly" between quote marks

@Alexandra316 @Rachel177 @Susan17 @Ann72 @Lawrene0@Lisa723  and @everyone-else

Please don't tel me they are taking away all those shared sleeping arrangement places like the bathroom, laundry, office, kitchen & garden that I & others were lead to believe would be for "Pet Friendly" homes?

If so, why don't they just add, "" box Hosts can tick in those spaces?

@Lisa723 Thanks for the tip.  And your space looks amazing.  🙂

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lisa723 @Ann72 So I've reclassified: I have made the office a living room also, and added the sleeping space. That's more accurate than second bedroom I think. Still goofy that you can't add a bed to an office or den space.

@Alexandra316  Not even to a den?  That seems like a place to sleep universally.  Thanks for the tip, though, I'll do the same.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

No, that's why checking was frustrating, @Alexandra316 . I should have been clearer about that. I was just trying to make sure I was not suddenly showing extra rooms or skewing the amenities. So I was checking without really knowing what I was looking for. Even the photos did not re-order when I assigned them to different parts of the house. So when I say I have it conquered, it is "conquered" only until the next site change uses all this data.

I wondered whether they will be moving us all to a plus-style "walk-through" of the space. It doesn't seem to be clarifying anything on the guest side yet.

@Lawrene0 I wondered the same thing, but I was surprised when there was no change. As you say, probably just a preview of coming attractions. Have fun trying to make a Plus listing out of my place, Airbnb!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Here we go, guys - another screw-up.  No inquiries or bookings for weeks (nothing new there for me though). Anyway, just discovered this - no idea how long it's been like this... Screenshot_20190626-203642.png

@Susan17 I had that too, earlier in the week! It was showing up on the app, but not on the desktop version. Really makes me nervous that something is awry.

@Alexandra316 

I had a guest last week who's a computer security expert in the US, has a lot of Govt contracts etc. The things he told me about Airbnbs security (and Jumio's, who Airbnb outsources the ID verification to) would make your hair stand on end! 

No matter how many times I turn it off, it resets itself to Check in on Sunday only. Been on the phone the last hour to CX in the Philippines (sooo painful!) - apparently, they don't seem to be able to turn it off either. Fit to be tied here. 

@Susan17 Does it actually have an effect on your calendar, though? I saw it on the mobile app, but it didn't seem to be doing anything, thankfully.

@Alexandra316 

It's peak summer period here, and it's been radio silence for me for weeks - admittedly, I don't get many inquiries anyway, but still, I'd usually get one or two here and there, especially at this time of year. So I'm assuming that I'd only appear in searches for guests whose check in dates fell on a Sunday.

@Susan17 I looked at your listings and was able to select a check in date that wasn't a Sunday, and I also did a search for July 1 to 4th to see if your place would come up, and it did. I don't think it's actually affecting your listing: I think there is something wrong with the app.