New ordinance for Hosts in South Portland, #Maine

New ordinance for Hosts in South Portland, #Maine

We received a letter from the city saying "it has come to our attention you have a short term rental at your property," we now face registration for $400 and then limit our guests to 6, have to install fire escapes, new electric for 6 special interconnected CO and smoke detectors, replacing mouth blown glass restored victorian windows with casement, hang fire extinguishers on walls, and self closing fire doors.  Has anyone else had to deal with this.

3 Replies 3
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

That sounds like a terrible predicament. I suggest you either check online or go to the the local zoning office and get copies of the actual rules/bylaws. From past experience I hear that I can't do this or that but when actually looking at the books the story is quite different. Knowledge is your friend here and if someone can give you clear cut information then that's great but in this situation I wouldn't go by word of mouth. 

Hi Jim

Thank you for responding.  They have an entire application and all of the rules and we are hoping that they make an exception or work with us knowing this is a treasured historic home and very well cared for.  We did go to our zoning office and have the rules and bylaws i suppose every town is different as well as country.  

Kris-And-Cindy0
Level 1
Portland, ME

In Portland we have to do almost all of those code requirements though replacing your nice window seems a little extreme. Kris in Portland