Not seeing a different format for guests reviews.

Elizabeth610
Level 6
Greensboro, NC

Not seeing a different format for guests reviews.

I get good reviews but was looking forward to  getting more detailed feedback from guests with the new review system that was recently announced -  prompting guests to mention details about various amenities etc. When does the new review system begin? 

21 Replies 21
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Elizabeth610. You can only see the "compliments" on the app. On my older iPhone, I go to Progress to Ratings to Review, and each review has the compliments below the review. So far, these compliments are not shown to future guests, so don't have a ton of value yet.

@Susan151 Thanks  so much for replying to my question on finding  special guest compliments,  which until now , I had never  ever seen on the app!!!  I am on the app all the time so that shows that I was not really taking advantage of it.  Now I see that these have been there for some time...like starting from my first guest in January 2018. It really changes how I now think about certain guests who may have said little in their review statement but said so much more in "Selecting?" different compliments?  I wondered why many said so little but that they had already selected a list of compliments for me to see.  I would  like to see what review forms for guests look like. That would help as well. 

For some reason, I thought that the compliments were to be a new cateogory for guests and it was announced as a big change in a recent Airbnb newsletter. 

Thanks again for showing me something very important that I had overlooked!  

@Elizabeth610, when guests fill out a review this a screenshot of "questions #2"

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 3.29.45 PM.png

@Emilia42 @Susan151 I have not been an Airbnb guest in the past 2 years... that explains something. Thanks Emilia for sending the screen shot.  

My next question is  - if guests see Step #2 in both formats? on app and on website?  I am assuming yes?  

Still learning basics!!  But this is a good one to know! I am still curious what the new announcement was all about.. maybe that other guests would start seeing what was special/compliments? 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Elizabeth610,

These compliments are sometimes used to fill the so-called home highlights.

I.e.: Sparkling clean

nn of the guests who stayed here recently indicated that the house was sparkling clean.

The compliments are not (yet) visible on the website (only in the App).

Please note the exact wording, they use in the home highlights and the associated compliment.

@Cor3. Thanks for pointing out the correct term -  home "highlights"  - interesting that there are no related tags for home highlights or compliments in our community forum. 

Maeve9
Level 3
South Carolina, United States

Hello Cor,

thanks for clarifying the term for me. home Highlights may become a host's worst nightmare!

let me explain. Any potential guest who books your place but then does not show either through forgetfulness, error of dates whatever, can then leave a vindictive ONE STAR RATING in the Home Highlights by claiming " no soap, no toilet paper, no bedding " etc when in fact that guest has never even entered your home. Pure badness and spite on their part and usually because of no refund reasons. It happened to me and I contacted Airbnb to no avail.

@Elizabeth, I do not have the app so all of my airbnbing (as host and guest) is done on a laptop. I do think there is a little difference in the format and many of the new features are seen on the app before they are available on the website. Hence, why people can see the "complements" on the app but I cannot seem them on my laptop.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Elizabeth610, I knew other hosts were getting compliments under the new system, but I was sure I was getting none at all. Fair enough. My place is very basic. 

Like you, I didn't realize they were buried a bit in the app. Found them only about a month ago. But it was a mixed blessing. While it is perplexing, but nice, that I have been complimented for thoughtful touches and being sparkling clean (on a muddy riverbank...), I also found a previously unknown complaint about no towels, no soap, and no sheets. There are unlimited towels, three kinds of soap, and you should see me struggling to get ironed sheets looking nice on that bed. Gah. 

So I'm not putting much stock in any of it. 🙂

@Lawrene0.  Wow!  Ironed sheets!!! I was tempted to start that as I dislike micro-fiber and poly sheets - and only use the best cotton sheets and no matter how carefully I wash or dry or fold them, they always looked wrinkled.  I stayed at a very nice Marriot Hotel this past weekend and I carefully inspected their bedmaking, etc. There were wrinkles so I am going to stick to folding only for the time being. 

I was fairly interested in the compliments selected by the few problem guests I have had - that was kind of interesting. 

I have gone out of my way to do a lot of special  personalised touches for different guests and always wondered why there was litle to no mention and now I find that most guests did appreciate and did mention here in Step 2 !  So that means a lot too. 

Cheers! 

Lightly ironed, @Elizabeth610. I should have said that. Only the worst of the wrinkles. Glad you are being rewarded for your personalised touches. It's nice to be appreciated.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lawrene0,

Some or all guests get to verify the existance of certain advertised amenities, as part of the new review process as well.

So, this is where your 'complaint' could be coming from.

Yes, I have seen that as a guest, @Cor3. Some guests - those who cannot see the soap in front of them - should not be inspectors, but that's the system. 

I thought I was merely not getting any compliments or complaints, but I should have known better. At least the former outnumber the latter, and both are a bit silly. 

Maeve9
Level 3
South Carolina, United States

Oh my gosh Laurene! I have one of those from November that I just spotted yesterday! Maybe we had the same "ghost guest"!

let me explain. My guest was a no-show on the actual day he booked. I left messages throughout the day since I live at the space (I rent a bedroom). Finally, around midnight he contacted me and apologized. He said he needed the following day and had made an error. He asked for a refund of his $38 dollars and I politely told him to go through Airbnb booking but that I thought it would not get him a refund.

he contacted me again, said I should give him his refund! 

So back to the new review system. He managed to leave me a negative " NO TOWELS, NO SOAP, NO TOILET PAPER, NO PILLOWS" in the guest suggestions or feed back whatever it's called.

maybe some irritated ghost guests of yours might have done the same?

airbnb say it's fine they have the right since they booked!