Payout versus guest bill

Julie567
Level 1
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom

Payout versus guest bill

I don't understand why my total payout for bookings is far less than the price the guest sees?

twice now a guest has asked to confirm a cost that is much higher Than the payment showing on the enquiry booking details.

does anyone know why this is?

4 Replies 4
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

It really depends. AirBnB *does* charge the guest (up to) 12% across the board. THEN In some jourisdictions guests pay Occupancy Taxes, in some they pay VAT, etc. What you  should treat your room rate as is: "Suggested retail." They then pay any local, regional, state and federal taxes on that retail price, they then pay the surcharge by AirBnB for that room.

You just need to refer them to their receipt. That you have nothing to do with billing except for adding additional items per the guest's request.

Julie567
Level 1

Thank you. The fee of 12% doesn't even come close to the total the guest sees. Are the taxes applicable to all countries or where the guest is booking from etc?

example.

3 nights at £75 per night plus £20 cleaning fee should be £245 minus airbnb fee which totals £237 and yet my guest is asking to confirm the price of £370 for the 3 nights. That's a big discrepancy. 

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Julie567: Is it possible that you and your guest may be looking at different currencies? Remember that each AirBnB user sets their own preference for what currency they use. Sometimes that causes confusion, for example when hosts are talking USD and guests are hearing CDN. Is the guest coming from within the UK?

Julie567
Level 1

Bingo!

That's what it is!

It's showing as £ not $!!!

Thank you very much. That clears it up!