Policy Review

Paule9
Level 2
California, United States

Policy Review

Cancellation Policy Review Problem

I think changes need to happen to the Airbnb review policy because of what is ruining my rental.

When people complain about policy it is like reverse extortion. If you don’t change your policy you know you will get a bad review and disgruntled guests can lie about facts even when they know in advance what the policy is - it’s just not right. (see what a revenge review is at bottom of page)

A few changes I believe would help hosts please vote with a thumbs up!!:

1. The agreed to “Policy” cannot be complained about: access, smoking, stairs, refund policies
  2. The Review guidelines must include "honesty" and factual.
  3. The Physical room complaints must be photo backed up.
  4. The Communication issues must be text backed up. 
  5. Long term stays must have a first week physical review phase

This would deter dishonest reviews, without creating an arbitration division at Airbnb.

Revenge Review on strict refund Policy

I had a dishonest revenge review by my first guest at my newly remodeled guest suite.

The guest was fine the first month, loved the place, treats and lotions and snacks.                     Everything was working, wifi, netflix, microwave, frig,coffeemaker, beautiful area with a pool.

She seemed happy everytime I saw her and we spoke several times with no requests. 

She cancelled the second 30 days of the 60 day reservation with 5 days notice (only when I asked if she was staying on, perhaps longer? She said she cancels for work at the last minute all the time) and I had a strict Airbnb policy. I relisted it at the lowest going rate- a little more than she paid because no more first time discount. 

Then when she saw she was being charged anyway after she cancelled she requested if she could rebook and rent it to her friend for a cash discount less than what she had paid and I told her to have him go through Airbnb only and I reduced the rate for him and would reimburse her. Her friend was a very loud guest of hers and I wanted the security of booking through Airbnb like their policy suggestsand my HOA guidelines allow 30 day guests only.

I told her to also ask her work to reimburse her as it was a job location change - and on check out day she told me they did reimburse her in full and only then told me her friend didn’t want to book through Airbnb. So in the review the guest made up ridiculous things, complained she was cheated and gave a one star, making it look like guests can be cheated through AirBnB!

I had 5 stars at my last location plus I'm (was) a superhost, taking alot of pride in hosting, now this jeapordizes my business because she didn’t like my policy.

Result

Airbnb wouldn't change the review because they don't want to arbitrate. I am sincerely dissappointed.

How do you all feel? If you think this (below) policy change idea is good please let Airbnb know with a thumbs up!!! Any thoughts appreciated.

Paule

A few changes I believe would help hosts:

The agreed to “Policy” cannot be complained about:

including access, smoking, stairs, refund policies, anything already agreed to before booking

The Review guidelines must include "honesty" 

The Physical room complaints must be photo backed up.

The Communication issues must be text backed up. 

Long term stays must have a first week physical review phase

Sunny Palm Desert view suite with AC.

DeAnna User Profile
February 2018

CAUTION... I’M OUT $1,126.81...PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING! This host is new to AirBnB and very unreasonable. I was the first guest at this home, so I had no reviews to go on. Basically, the room is small and dark with no windows. There is only a single lamp with no overhead lighting. The sliding glass door opens into the yard so in order to have any privacy; the curtains must remain closed which makes the rooms feel like a dungeon. The TV has no cable, just a Roku box with limited channel selection. The “Kitchen” is a small fridge and broken microwave. My situation: I booked this property from January 5th-March 4th for work. Due to a change in schedule, I ended up being transferred to Seattle on short notice. On January 26th I requested the change to leave on February 4th. I had paid for the first month upfront, and the second month would have been charged $1485.30 if I had stayed until March 4th. I was shocked when I was notified that the amount due was $1126.81 even though I was leaving an entire month early. I contacted AirBnB customer service and they said it was up to the host whether or not she would refund the money. My co-worker said that he would take it from February 4th-March 4th. Instead of just letting him take it over and having him pay me, I notified the host. The host said that she would refund the $1126.81 ONLY if he booked for 30 days and that he would have to book through AirBnB instead of taking over the rest of my time. When he tried to book, the cost for a month jumped to $2128. When I asked the host if she would give him the same deal of $ (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) nce that is all I would have paid, she refused. I was very disappointed to say the least. She is now renting for almost twice what I would have paid and still is keeping my money. Please beware.

(In addition upon arrival I asked if she wanted curtains and an extra lamp or table and showed her everything was working.)

3 Replies 3
Dawn171
Level 3
Alva, FL

Hi,

I agree with your suggestions 100 percent .

this just happened to me, I had s guest 

who reserved my four bedroom home 

that I have listed for a maximum of eight people and they reserved it for 8 people. 

But they checked in and two days later I found out there were ten guests. So I called 

Air bnb and they said I could charge for the extra people or ask them to vacate. I chose to go the nicer route and I sent the request for the extra monies and the guest actually 

threatened me with a bad review if I pursued her for the monies , she also said that I should have put rules in place for her to be compliant with to know , well why would I put in a rule about extra money for extra guests when my listing clearly states 8 people. The guest said she was only going to pay half the amount that I requested.  And did I think that sum of money was worth s bad review on my property.  So I contacted 

Air bnb and just like you are describing they let guests get away with breaking rules and doing what they want.  When guests break rules then do not get their way they leave 

revenge reviews this should not in any way be allowed because the guests knows what bad reviews can do to a Host property so they think they have the upper hand 

absolutely horrendous.

Paule9
Level 2
California, United States

Hi Dawn

Thank you for your story. It's a shame we have to figure out the best way to handle our policies when a policy should speak for itself. I hope you've tried to reach out to Airbnb again because each reviewer may have a different viewpoint. I think it's most helpful if you tell them it looks like your guests are undermining the Airbnb anti- extortion Policy which makes Airbnb look bad.

They would likely escalate a remedy, I would hope so anyways, so keep trying.

I'm happy to say after relentless requests they re-reviewed my case and resolved the review that was a blatant lie.

Best to you,

Paule

Jomy2
Level 5
Atlanta, GA

Thank you for your post.

Please see my post on AirBnB policy. Respond to it with your experience/views. Hope if enough of us raise awareness to this, AirBnB will change its policy. Here is the link to my post:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/AirBnB-Reviews-and-ratings-policy/m-p/733583/thread-id/1...

Please help spread the word and lets make our voice heard by AirBnB