Possible bad review

Possible bad review

Looking for advice 

I run three locations on one property. Last weekend all three locations were booked. My reviews have been outstanding, but I may have a bad review coming and it is untrue. 

Myself  and another Airbnb Host shared  hosted  a large group.

My cottage sleeps 4 and the other host took care of the overflow. 

One day before arriving, I received a message asking me to host an additional guest. I replied  instantly and stated only 4 guests allowed. 

I did not receive a response from the guest acknowledging my message.

On the Day of arrival, I received a text stating the guest would arrive early. I replied back and stated check in time.

I never received a reply acknowledging 

my message.

At 3:00 sharp must guests arrive. A 15 passenger van pulls up and 15 passengers get out, I Great them and try to identify the person who booked.

Once I identify the main guest, I give a small tour of the property and go over House rules. I also reminded them, that the property does not allow additional guests and the property was limited to Four. A man in the group was very unpleasant and stated he was aware and not happy I would not accommodate the extra person.

The man also stated another 15 passenger van would be arriving at the other location and they were only sleeping here and they were only dropping of  baggage.

The entire group left to go to the other Airbnb location. They would have dinner at the other location.

The next morning they left early and did not return til after dinner.

The next day the same thing, they left early and returned after dinner.

On the third day, once again they left early and arrived back around Five pm.

At 8:30 pm I see head light s and hear the van start up. I just checked on my other guests before going to bed.

i just thought the cottage guests were going to dinner. Before going to bed I checked if I had any message or phone calls. 

At 4:30 am I woke up to use the bathroom. I look out the window to make sure the cottage guests arrive safe and that the Glamping guests and the Lakehouse guests had extinguished  both camp fires.

I checked my message again and received a message from the cottage it stated.

Our belongings have been ransacked and  there privacy’s  violated and they did not feel safe and they were leaving and they wanted a full refund.

I was so surprised and upset. Why did they not call me? They had been in the cottage 3 1/2 hours and not a word.

i called Airbnb at 4:35 am. Told them no way the cottage was gone thur. We have cameras on the front door and only one way in or out and the cameras did not go off. So they accused myself of going thur the cottage.

These people are upset because, they didn’t get their way.

I asked Airbnb to remove any review this guest would leave and in return I will not review. The guest is telling an untruth and it could hurt my business if people felt unsafe in my home .

i also stated in writing and by taped telephone conversation. By allowing this person to leave a review could result in Defamation of character, liable slander and loss of income.

The support member stated she couldn’t do anything to remove the review process, unless the guest would agree. I was not happy and told her she would have to speak with a supervisor. She promised to call me back.

At 9:30 I called agin and was told my ten member was not in.

I called again at 12:30 and was told they would pass on the message that I called again.

At 7:30 pm she finally called and by this time the other host and I were having drinks and discussing the group. 

I  asked for a status and she one again told me , she would have to speak with her supervisor. She promised to call me back later that night.

i  waited for her phone call til midnight and then gave up.

the next morning I sent a message and told her  that I was not happy and once again explained everything and why they should remove review. 3 days later she called only after I sent her another message .

This issue is still not resolved.

Very upset with the service from Airbnb. 

Waiting til the last day to write my review.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

The other host was faced with more people then he wa paid for and more people than he agreed to host.

My personal opinion is since the other host is not present at the other location, they thought they could get away with  more people and found that paying for my location was a waste of money and made up this whole story. 

What they did not know. The other host and I are friends and we have cameras.

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Sounds like you and the other host have camera proof of the guest acting in such a way that is against your rules and that the guest accusations are unfounded.  @Deborah325   Air BNB cannot remove a review if it hasn't been posted, but your contacting Air BNB is good because you have a basis for your review and profile flag.  If the guest lies, it is not Air BNB's responsibility and therefore they are not liable.  If the guest review violates the Content Policy, it can be removed.  However, given all that you offer and your good record, a quick response to any negative review can be easily overcome by a professional response by you.  

@Linda108I am not sure how much a public response to a guest review can help. There is no objective way for a CS to decide if a guest review violates the Content Policy made by AirBnb. I have encountered a guest that sent messages to me with insulting words because I denied his request of getting a long-term lease of renting a room from my house out of AirBnb.

The guest account was deactivated now because he has received at least three bad reviews. But his one star review still on me. In his review, he used similar personal attacking word "head spins out of control". Airbnb still was not willing to remove the review. I appealed once with no vail.

As hosts we should suggest Airbnb to change the way they treat hosts with unfairness. I have mentioned Airbnb review system has following issues to be resolved.

(1) Overall star has no relationship with stars from each categories. Airbnb made a very small change recently to correct the issue of a all five stars in each categories but an overall star is lower than 3. But it still does not make much sense to separate the overall star completely from the stars given in each categories.

(2) Reviews can still be given when there are conflicts/confrontations between a host and guests. Definitely reviews will be biased in this case. It does not reflect the truth.

(3) Reviews can still be given when a cancellation is made once a trip is started. Cases like a guest does not show up on the checkin date; a guest is not happy after seeing the room/house and wants to cancel etc.

(4) Guest's rating stars and recommendation from other hosts do not show up to a host when a guest sends a booking request.

(5) There is no time window given for editing a review. Mistakes can happen. Once a review is submitted, there is no way to correct it.

Please send your feedback to Airbnb in order to help all hosts

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Thank you so much, I will use your suggestions and I fully agree with you. Changes must be done.

@Alice595   While I might agree with you about the need for there to be revisions about the review system, @Deborah325 is dealing with a real time issue and is stuck with the current TOS and the current content policy.  Here's a link to the policy , https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

Unfortunately, lying is not included as excluded content. 

@Linda108 @Deborah325 @Alice595 

Section 5 of the terms and conditions restricts content that is "fraudulent, false, misleading...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/terms

5.8 You will not post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Member Content that: (i) is fraudulent, false, misleading (directly or by omission or failure to update information) or deceptive; 

By definition lying would be excluded content. I presume Guests would create 'member content' ?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0Is lying considered a misleading or false condition? If it is, lying would have been a excluded content in Content Policy. Then, we hosts can request Airbnb to remove those reviews with lies.

@Alice595  According to ABB terms if lying is "fraudulent, false, misleading ... or deceptive" then we as hosts should insist that those reviews are removed.

Deception and Mislead are 'lies' in the highet alternative form.

lies.jpg

Thank you for your feedback . I have always given my all to welcome guests around the world. I have enjoyed every moment and have great experience until last weekend.

it is sad that sometimes you come across 

Bitter

Angry

Dishonest

I have decided I will wait to the 14th day to write my review. My review will be short.

I will see what they say and respond very rapidly.

@Deborah325 From your message, I can see that you are very organized and very well prepared for performing your work as a host. If Airbnb does not make any changes in its review system, we as hosts will still face biased reviews sooner or later.

Please send feedback to Airbnb regarding the retaliation review and hope that they will consider a major change.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Deborah325 in your shoes my main concern would not be the review, but the potential of the guest reporting your listing to Airbnb as "unsafe" resulting in it being suspended or delisted. Airbnb is known to do this without any real investigation. It's good that you are being proactive about making sure they have the facts.

Thank you, we will see if anything occurs. I have plenty of phone calls and messages to Airbnb., plus cameras. 

Time will tell

@Deborah325, be careful with the cameras. No where in your listings does it mention that guests can be recorded at any point. You have to mention this in your house rules. 

Thank you 

@Deborah325What @Emilia42 mentioned is very important. Here is the link of the rules from Airbnb about disclosure of using security camera and other recording devices.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-device...

Some guests would ask you for a full refund after staying if they file complaints about it to Airbnb. And your listings could be removed by Airbnb because there is no disclosure of recording devices in your listings.