Posting a map with stuff to see and do.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Posting a map with stuff to see and do.

I’m making a map showing the area my cabin is in. I want to show the proximity and variety of things in the area. I chose things mostly to give an overview, but can’t show everything. For example I show one winery, one bike trail, one hiking trail, one apple orchard, one fly fishing area, and the 2 main downtown shopping areas near me. There are many more wineries, bike trails, orchards etc. Do you think people will get that this is just a general idea? My hope is that people will see it and then do an internet search. I’m thinking this would be a good thing to post in my listing images as well.  

I will have a more in-depth list of the various things in my guest book. 

A7177ACA-7DE2-4092-98C7-270992B25C62.jpeg

9 Replies 9
Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

I think it is a great idea. I am working on something that is much the same as your map. Our town is small and I can show all points of interest.

You might add a list of "other points of interest" and just list the names so people will know what to search for.

You also might stop by these locations and put up flyers, coupons etc and include them with your map. If you can get a two of one coupon for a location, you might add that location to your map.

I like what you have done.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

It just occurred to me that I can print some interest based maps. One showing wineries and breweries, one showing bike trails, one showing hiking and fishing, and just put them in my guest book. Put this overview map on the listing. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Love this idea @Annette76 and the design of your map looks fantastic, it's really clear. 

Is this a regular question from your guests?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Annette76, @Lizzie :

We have done two things, the first is we have a large map of the area on the wall and then brochure holders around it with brochures of interesting things. A couple times a year I stop by a hotel near us and grab brochures out of their lobby off the display rack. The hotel does not care and our guests appreciate a service they would normally receive from a hotel. (Wish I had a picture, but guests are in the home right now). 

Secondly, we have a printed list of 100+ things to do in the area that we keep in our home manual and also send a link in the message we send immediately after a guest books so they can plan their trip if desired.
(http://houseforrentwebsite.com/100.php).

Our guests really appreciate these items, especially the comprehensive list. But anything you do, like the map you are creating, Annette, shows your guests that you care more about them than just getting their money.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's amazing to hear you have 100+ things to recommend near your listing  @Tim-and-Holly0  and it's nice your guests react so well. I like to always look at the recommendations my hosts provide as I feel like I am getting to know all the secret local spots. 🙂 

Do you have a top 5 / top 10 'must-sees'?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie:
Tucson is an amazing area in that it does not matter what a person's likes/dislikes are, there is some activity here for them to do. When someone asks me to recommend something I always start with, "What are your interests?" and point them to several items.

If I had a top five things I would do if visiting Tucson they would be these items that are unique to our area:

1. Pima Air/Space Museum (3rd largest air museum in the world)

2. Saguaro National Park (the huge saguaro cactus grows nowhere else in the world)

3. Titan Missile Museum (Titan II missile still sits in the silo and guests can go into the command center)

4. Old Tucson (Huge movie set/lot where many of the old Westerns were filmed)

5. Kitt Peak National Observatory (spend a night looking at the heavens).

@Lizzie:

Saguaro CactusSaguaro Cactus

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Annette76  it's a great idea and, as we do this ourselves, I can highly recommend it! We include custom walking maps, city locations, sites... etc.  There is nothing more satisfying than knowing your guests saw the 'best' your city had to offer, in the time they had... because you made it happen 🙂

Karlo4
Level 2
Split, Croatia

Great idea. 🙂