late departure

Janice258
Level 1
Jerusalem, Israel

late departure

Easter is a very busy time for us and we often have guests checking in and out on the same day. I  have a flexible check-in and check-out policy and have never had a problem. Guests have always been more than willing to vacate their room  for me to clean about 2 hours before the next guests are due to arrive, and I often let my guests leave their luggage at the house either because they have arrived very early or are leaving later in the day.

However, my current guests have just told me their flight is at 5am the morning after check-out, so they will be leaving my house at midnight and, I have a group of 5 people arriving day.   I think that staying til midnight  is unreasonable and is actually taking advantage of my flexible policy.  I do not want the leaving guests to hang around the house or use facilities after the new guests arrive (in the afternoon.)

How can I be both polite yet firm? Do you think that this is unreasonable? Your advice....please. Thanks for your help

6 Replies 6
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Janice258 It is your home and you make the rules. Do not spoil the guests by abusing rules just because you may get a negative review.

If I were you, I would definitely tell the departing guests that they have to leave before the checkin guests are here. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>so they will be leaving my house at midnight<<

They should have booked an another night. Check out time isn't to suit them. Time to show some muscle. 

Oh, and your check in/out details are too wooly. Time to tighten up. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Janice258   We used to have a flexible check in and check out also, but it became too labor intensive to verify when X guest was planning to leave or come, so now we have a flexible check IN, policy, but we have check out set at 11am, we still allow people a later check out if time permits, but this gives us a starting point so we don't have to stress about people not leaving in time for a same day turnover.  I'd advise you consider this in future.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Janice258 my settings are the same as @Mark116. It saves you a lot of explaining and trouble if you meed them to leave earlier. I even have check in time set up at 12pm and still am flexible if there is a chance to welcome them sooner or lates but it saves me from guests that feel like what is said in the description isn't fulfilled, on the contrary, they feel like im doing them a favor. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Janice258  As far as your midnight rambler guests, our standard line with people who want a time we cant' give, is that yes, we offer as much flexibility for our guests as possible, but in this instance, the schedule will not allow for a check in at X, or in your case, a check out at midnight, but we can let you stay until Y, we hope that works for you.

Janice258
Level 1
Jerusalem, Israel

Thank u all. Food for thought. Maybe time to be less flexible.