Preemptive strike for bad guests?

Preemptive strike for bad guests?

I have been hosting now for 6 months and have had 2 extremely horrible guests. (Fortunately, just 2.) These last people stayed 10 days, left food out the entire time, and are now sending me pictures of rodent droppings and claiming they are going to request a refund because of unsanitary conditions. Upon checkout, I found every sheet and towel not only dirty, but some were bloody and slimy. I had to use latex gloves to clean the place after they left. To my knowledge, they haven't requested any kind of refund, but assuming they might, how can I do a preemptive strike against people like that? What I'm reading is that Air BNB is very guest-centered and does not support hosts in cases like this. (Oh, and just for fun, the first horrible guest ran into my house with her car, resulting in $6000 worth of damage.) How can we as hosts prevent ourselves from these terrible people, and what recourse do we have?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The best defense are the guest reviews coupled with your communication with them prior to booking or shortly thereafter.  Still you can have a guest that mis-uses your space and is not respectful of your listing.  

I read your reviews which are generally very positive.  I suggest you work on your responses.  You are posting your response as part of the reviews seen on your listing.  Mentioning issues not visible in the guest review is confusing to potential guests so it is best to be gracious and thank the guest.  If issues are in the public review, your response should be appreciative of the feedback and indicate if you have taken steps to remedy a problem.  Potential guests just want to see if the host is professional and responsive.  

I hope you provide an honest review of your last guests as host do depend on reviews.  I would imagine you would not want to host them, so a thumbs down review is called for.  While the "ick" factor is unpleasant, it doesn't appear that you sustained damages and are planning to make a claim.  While Air BNB is guest leaning, if a guest stayed in a place and did not leave because of "unsanitary conditions" a refund is not usually granted.  

Thank you. That is very helpful advice!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@AnonymousYour best protection against fake claims of unsanitary conditions is to take video footage with your phone of  the listing before every set of guests.  This way you can document that it was clean and orderly, and will reduce your exposure to this type of tactic.  It may still be that airbnb will side with guests, but at least it's some level of protection.  The same with damages, if there are damages or extreme uncleanliness, take photos or video before you clean it.

Thanks, Mark. You're absolutely right. I will make every effort to do that.