Question # 2 Airbnb will not specifically answer...Help?

Jeff541
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Question # 2 Airbnb will not specifically answer...Help?

For some reason I cannot get a specific answer to the following questions...can any of you help?

1. I am making available to Airbnb guests my home in my temporary absences (my entire 2 brm condo):                                                                                                       A. Is it Airbnb policy-rule that every square inch of my home (including all closets-drawers-garage-patio) MUST be made available to guests?
  2.  If that is the policy-demand of a host, how do I possibly store ANY personal items (clothes etc.) “away or stored in a hidden place” without then violating the use of the “entire place” policy-rule?  (rent it out as a "shared space" seems totally incorrect) 
  3.  If “Personal items" are present even though they are clean/folded/hung in a small condensed area in one closet out of 6  (i.e. not stored away in a locked remote location) at the time of check-in does this constitute a “cleanliness issue” subject to refund of the entire published “cleaning fees”? (or othjer monetary fee-fine)

Thanks Jeff

4 Replies 4
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jeff541 

You are welcome to lock away anything you wish.

You may wish to disclose the large unavailable areas. I.E 2 of3 bedrooms available, top story for use...  but not necessary.

To me, "Whole house" refers to privacy, not every inch of the house.

You also can leave your stuff in the house. There is a toggle in your listing that discloses this.

I like to leave the 2 top dresser drawers empty and one half of the closet available for guests.

Jeff541
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Paul ...concerning:

"You also can leave your stuff in the house. There is a toggle in your listing that discloses this"...where is that "toggle"...what is it named? ....and If “Personal items" are present even though they are clean/folded/hung in a small condensed area in one closet or drawer at the time of check-in does this constitute a “cleanliness issue” subject to refund of the entire published “cleaning fees”? (or othjer monetary fee-fine) thanks Jeff

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeff541  What you might want to consider is that hosts have reported here finding that guests had been through their personal stuff and helped themselves to things. What I'd do in your situation is to maybe put some free-standing wardrobe and some totes in the garage, storeroom or other lockable space, declare the garage off-limits and make sure there's no way for guests to access that space and stash all your stuff in there. Or condense all your personal items into one closet, which is locked, with no guest access. Or, 3rd option, only list it as entire 1 bedroom space, and leave all your own things in your bedroom with a lock on the door.